• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How to create 2nd Apple ID for son

Reaction score
Our household currently has multiple iMacs, MPB, MBA, iPods, etc all using the same AppleID to allow us to share all music and apps.

My oldest son will be issued an iPad this year by his school to be used throughout the year. One of the requirements is for him to have an AppleID that he will use on this iPad. I do not want to use my AppleID for this for security reasons, so I will need to create a new ID for him.

What would be the easiest way to do this, without screwing up our current setup on all our devices with our current AppleID? If I try to create a new account on one of our computers, will it wipe out the current ID?

This ID will be used for school purposes only, and there won't be any need to access the content on my personal computer.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide; this scenario has me kind of perplexed!

Thanks in advance!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think this will get you where you want yo go I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

1. Use the device too create the new ID. It's pretty straightforward but here's an overview just in case.

2. That device now has the new ID assigned to it once the process is complete. Should you ever need to have a purchase from the app store or iTunes assigned to your original household account simply go to iTunes log out of the new account and log into the iTunes store with th household account information.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The problem is that for some reason, they want the students to have the Apple ID prior to school starting and before they get the iPads, otherwise I would simply wait until he received it. Not sure why they feel the need to require it before they receive them!

My concern is that I have read of others that have opened another Apple ID account on a computer that already had an Apple ID associated with it, and it moved all their content to the new account.

Since I can't wait until he receives the iPad, can I safely create a new one on my current computer?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do it properly you can create the new account from your computer before you have the iPad. https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId This method shouldn't change the account being used on your devices. It can't hurt to check your iTunes store login and iCloud settings afterward though.

I have two Apple IDs. One is used primarily for iCloud and synching device information the other is used for iTunes purchases and as my ID on the Apple site. I haven't had a problem with things getting crossed as long as I checked the settings to make sure the device was using the account I wanted it to.

The Apple discussion board also has some information on how to create an Apple ID without a credit card. I have not tried that though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^ Yep, hence my suggestion to do it online rather than through iTunes, iCloud etc. on one of your devices.

He will need an existing email to register though, so grab a new gmail address first for use with the new ID.
And only use the new gmail account via a browser rather than adding it to your an email client.
Then he'll have an email and ID ready to go and strictly for use with the new device.
Using it for school - have him pick a couple of good secure passwords he can remember for each of these 2 accounts.

OP
S
Reaction score
^^^ Yep, hence my suggestion to do it online rather than through iTunes, iCloud etc. on one of your devices.

He will need an existing email to register though, so grab a new gmail address first for use with the new ID.
And only use the new gmail account via a browser rather than adding it to your an email client.
Then he'll have an email and ID ready to go and strictly for use with the new device.
Using it for school - have him pick a couple of good secure passwords he can remember for each of these 2 accounts.

Sorry man, I didn't fully understand your advice at first; now I realize that you suggested to do it online, which I didn't realize you could do (I've only done it through my devices). I was thinking about this a little earlier this morning, and I forgot he has a personal PC laptop; I'll just have him use that to create it online to ensure no problems arise.

I really appreciate all the help you've given me over the past few years!!!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
If you do it properly you can create the new account from your computer before you have the iPad. https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId This method shouldn't change the account being used on your devices. It can't hurt to check your iTunes store login and iCloud settings afterward though.

I have two Apple IDs. One is used primarily for iCloud and synching device information the other is used for iTunes purchases and as my ID on the Apple site. I haven't had a problem with things getting crossed as long as I checked the settings to make sure the device was using the account I wanted it to.

The Apple discussion board also has some information on how to create an Apple ID without a credit card. I have not tried that though.

Thanks Sly, I appreciate it!!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
NP - think I've gotten lazy and oft' times too short in my replies over the years.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Hope your youngster enjoys using it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.