info needed to buy correct new battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Son-in-law has an older macbook (white plastic) and is looking to buy a new battery through Amazon. Exactly what info does he need? Is the info listed in "About this Mac" enough? Any special tools he would need? Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Son-in-law has an older macbook (white plastic) and is looking to buy a new battery through Amazon. Exactly what info does he need? Is the info listed in "About this Mac" enough? Any special tools he would need? Thanks

The first & most important question is...is this a MacBook with an externally removable battery...or is it the integrated internal type of battery?

A quick external inspection is all that's necessary to determine this.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Nick,
integrated internal type

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
integrated internal type

This makes it pretty easy. The white MacBooks only had this battery for a short time...so more than likely...there's only one battery available for white MacBooks with an internal battery.

Yes...the info in "About The Mac" will be useful as well.

Here's the battery replacement procedure:

Installing MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Battery - iFixit

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The first & most important question is...is this a MacBook with an externally removable battery...or is it the integrated internal type of battery?

- Nick

Either Google force is strong in you or you have an encyclopedic memory for all things Mac. Which is it young Jedi?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Either Google force is strong in you or you have an encyclopedic memory for all things Mac. Which is it young Jedi?

Neither. It's you and I who need new memory modules! ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unfortunately, I think you are right.

When we bought our Mac LC II I knew the base specs and upgrade configurations of eery Mac in the line at that time. As new systems came out I could remember the new ones as well as some of the more unusual quirks for some models. Now, unless it is general troubleshooting or a model I've dealt with I have to look it up.

I don't even bother keeping up with specs for the new models anymore unless I am helping someone who wants to buy one or I'm looking to buy (which doesn't happen often).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You are too kind!:)

Sometimes:

- Things are fresh in my mind (from the many Mac-Forums questions we work with).
- I "have a feeling" (and I double check resources before posting).
- I'm "semi-clueless"...and that's when the Google skills come in.;)

Also...I have many many Mac's surrounding me. So sometimes I can go to Everymac.com for info...or I can just reach to the left or to the right of me for the answer!;)

- Nick

p.s. If I'm "totally clueless"...then I say nothing...figuring our other fine experts will know!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.