LaCie D2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt HDD not turning on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, OS X 10.8.4)
I have one of these hard drives, and I love it to pieces, except after last night's power outage, it doesn't want to turn on (the power has since turned back on.) I plug it in to a surge protector strip, flip the power switch, and the blue light on the front blinks once, and that's it.

This is the drive in question: LaCie - LaCie d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series

(For the record, my 3TB Seagate hard drive turns on without a problem, so I'm hoping the power outage didn't damage one drive in particular.)

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive's power supply could have suffered damaged from the power outage and surge. I believe LaCie warrants their drives for 3 years, so it may be a good idea to contact them and perhaps get a RMA and a new drive. If there is critical data on the drive which you need to have, you may be able to remove it from the carrier and place it in a new carrier and get it working again. Of course that will void your LaCie warranty though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips, chscag! I've got a support ticket open with LaCie, as well as a pending quote request from their data recovery services. (I would love to have the data recovered - everything I have on this drive is backed up elsewhere, save for a little work I did yesterday. Still, it'd be nice to have a functioning Thunderbolt drive to work directly off of; much faster than my machine's USB 2.0 ports.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'll be interested to hear how you make out, I'd be surprised if the actual drive mech was damaged, it's more likely just the enclosure power supply, as chscag mentioned.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be interested to hear how you make out, I'd be surprised if the actual drive mech was damaged, it's more likely just the enclosure power supply, as chscag mentioned.

LaCie got back to me via a tech support ticket, but all they've done so far is ask me if my Mac is turned on, and what sort of connection I'm using (ie, Thunderbolt.)

After four LaCie drives shitting the bed on me, and me explaining to LaCie in detail that the drive itself isn't spinning when switched on, they go ahead and ask me if my Mac is on.

... :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Lacie is one company I'd never recommend products from. Your story falls in line with everything else I've heard. I don't trust their customer service, and I sure don't trust their products.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lacie is one company I'd never recommend products from. Your story falls in line with everything else I've heard. I don't trust their customer service, and I sure don't trust their products.

This is painful to think, given that their product design is just so **** elegant. There's more to tech than looks, yes, but if only LaCie's seemed to align.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is painful to think, given that their product design is just so **** elegant. There's more to tech than looks, yes, but if only LaCie's seemed to align.

Yep, we do see a fair number of complaints about failed LaCie externals. It is unfortunate because their designs are very attractive. If you don't get anywhere with their support folks, I'd consider buying an external case and just transplant the drive mech over to it. Chances are, the drive itself is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas elegance does not equate with great performance and long life.

Suggest sticking with Western Digital products.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, we do see a fair number of complaints about failed LaCie externals. It is unfortunate because their designs are very attractive. If you don't get anywhere with their support folks, I'd consider buying an external case and just transplant the drive mech over to it. Chances are, the drive itself is fine.

Yeah, I know the drive itself is fine - I don't think there's any way for it not to be at this stage. I'm gonna see what that warranty can do for me, as I unfortunately can't afford to replace a drive at this time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alas elegance does not equate with great performance and long life.

Suggest sticking with Western Digital products.

Alas indeed, and shame. My Seagate drives have also always been fine. Comparable to WD, would you say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same manufacturer nowadays lol!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, everyone who's replied - thank you all for your insight.

However, I just turned my troublesome drive on whilst having the Thunderbolt cable plugged into my girlfriend's MacBook, and lo and behold, it works.

Ergo vis-a-vis concordantly: the problem lies with my Mac and/or TB ports.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same manufacturer nowadays lol!

Unless I missed some very big news, Western Digital and Seagate are still independent of one another. Though both have made very large acquisitions in recent years, which has consolidated the market down to these two as the last really big players.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, everyone who's replied - thank you all for your insight.

However, I just turned my troublesome drive on whilst having the Thunderbolt cable plugged into my girlfriend's MacBook, and lo and behold, it works.

Ergo vis-a-vis concordantly: the problem lies with my Mac and/or TB ports.

Ouch. Not good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.