total n00b question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
i will give the scenrio as to how i came about owning a Mac Book Pro, then the question....

Scenrio:
my sister in law spills water on the keyboard from a large mouth water bottle. so the mac 'just stops' is how they put it. they took the back off of it and used a hair dryer on the guts to dry it out. its working now and i have my own Administrator account, as well as my Brother and my Sister-in-Law's account... still.
before i bought it from them for $200 they put all of their accounts on iCloud i guess, and was able to transfer all of their settings and bookmarks to their new Mac Books.

Question:
if i delete their accounts from my Mac Book, would i delete their info from iCloud? or even their new machines?
i know that this is competely stupid, but i am a 100% n00b at OSX

please dont laugh too hard at me....

Reaction score
Question:
if i delete their accounts from my Mac Book, would i delete their info from iCloud? or even their new machines?
i know that this is competely stupid, but i am a 100% n00b at OSX

please dont laugh too hard at me....

You will not affect their cloud data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You will not affect their cloud data.

Exactly, its in the Cloud, thats what its for, so its not on a piece of Hardware . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi OP,

Personally as this is a second hand Mac, I would do an erase and new OS X install. As I presume yiou have the install disks that originally came with the machine.
This way you can set the Mac up to your personal preferences.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
actually they said that there wasnt any discs that came with the mac, i though other wise.....
i have my own Administrator account
wouldnt that be just as good as a fresh install?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Depending upon when this Mac was released it may not have come with install discs. Lion was released in July of 2011 and was downed only. A USB stick version became available later Mountain Lion has always been download only. The last OS released on DVD was 10.6.x.

Since you have your own administrator account in many cases that might be almost as good unless you are experiencing problems with the machine. If you want to do a clean install you should be able to boot into the Recovery partition and go from there.

If you can tell us exactly which mac you have, amount of memory, and OS version we can give better advice. Go to the Apple menu choose About This Mac then pick More Info and report the results.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB, 500 GB HDD, OS X 10.8.4

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone give me any advise on what i should look for when i pull the main logic board out of my Mac Book Pro to check for water damage?

i got this Mac Book Pro from my Brother and his wife, she spilled water from a wide mouth water bottle on the keyboard
they took the back off and use a hair dryer to clean it up
and so far its been working
(they also have a dog)

so i want to take the main board out clean off the heat sinks, and fans
and go over the board and look for any signs of water damage and prolly clean it off with some rubbing alcohol while im in there

can anyone tell me what i should be looking for? i have an associates degree in computer networking so i dont need a lesson in components
im really wanting to know what tall tell signs i should look for or anything that i should look at for a warning sign that its about to fail

thanks for any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's keep this all together as one thread instead of making it into two, especially since the main subject about the spill is the same.

Also, we suggest you read through our "spills" thread which you can find at the top of the Notebook forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.