buying refurbished?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
We stopped by an apple store today just to kill some time and now hubby wants one too. The demo's were 2nd gen which would not be bad for him but we also discussed with the apple associate a refurbished model( I told him to get a 3rd gen 16 gig) since you get full warranty and can still get apple care when we pick it up at the store( would go to Delaware- no sales tax if we get two tablets at the same time).
I've bought a re-firbished kitchenaid mixer that had full warranty except on paint and a digital camera but never high end electronics.
Is refurbished iPad same reason- some minor flaw they caught at the factory so technically it can't be sold as factory fresh?
I see the way apple is phasing out the 30 pin connector and I know once he sees retina display, he would regret getting the iPad 2 especially if a refurbished 3 is the same price as a new iPad 2 from the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1, PBG4 17", iBook G3(366 Indigo), iPad Air (16G), iPhone 4(8GB).
Apple refurbs can be returns, formerly defective models, etc. Not necessarily scratch-and-dent.

They replace the battery, the rear cover (and screen if necessary), and send it out with a 1 year warranty and new box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go for the refurb. Had two now and both outstanding value.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion...Apple's refurbished products are much better than other manufacturers refurbished products...regardless of product category (kitchen appliances, TV's, electric drills, etc.). Apple's refurbished products are DEFINITELY NOT of the "scratch & dent" variety.

Apple refurbished products are just like new (including the 12 month Applecare warranty). All that is missing is the fancy box (you get a plain brown box).

No worries!:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Though we're talking iPads here, my 2009 27" iMac is a refurb and has been working awesome from day one with absolutely no problems. Apart from the plain white box it came in, you couldn't tell it was a refurb.

C

chas_m

Apart from the box they come in, Apple refurbs are generally indistinguishable from new.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought a 1st Gen 16GB back soon after the iPad came out. It shipped from China in a pure white box. Once inside the box it looked like unpacking a brand new Apple product. It was just like brand new. It even smelled new. Their Refurbs are amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I bought a refurbished 64GB iPad Retina a few weeks ago and it looks and works just like a new one. Saved $120 plus the tax difference. Go for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.