Mac book pro 2012 - wine spill

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so i'm not completely sure if this is the right place to start a thread like this, so my apologise if this is the wrong place!

So, got a Apple Macbook Pro 13.3" mid 2012 MD101xx/A, I spilled a small amount of wine on it and caused it liquid damage :( I'v take it too the genius bar and they said they were going to charge me to replace the logic board and keyboard but the Genius told me this was pretty standard practice and they would be able to repair the logic board later and reuse it.

and today I've just turned on the MacBook again. It started up, chimed and I managed to log in as normal using a USB keyboard (the liquid damaged keyboard only types in caps). The computer does not shut itself down now like it was doing before.The login process was notably slower than normal but everything else seems to be working - trackpad / airport / screen. However, the DVD drive is not recognised and I can't get it to recognise an external hard drive / USB drive

Do you think I could completely stripe the machine apart and cleaned everything and dried everything and reassembled it would work again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you think I could completely stripe the machine apart and cleaned everything and dried everything and reassembled it would work again?

Liquid spills (in many cases) end up with a dead computer. The fact that your computer seems to be working partially is a better sign than most folks experience with their liquid spilled computer.

That being said...there is no definite answer to the question asked above (results are unpredictable).

No need to guess...just do it...and see what happens. Then you will have the answer.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Wine is just above Coca-Cola on the list of Worst Possible Liquids to Spill on your Mac. It is eating your logic board as we speak, albeit slowly.

You can probably kiss that machine goodbye over time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others suggest think it is one the way out and as you have found out no warranty once the liquid indicators show the spill.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.