Add mailbox in iPad mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
As syncing Mail to iCloud doesn't include mailboxes set up on an iMac or a Macbook they need to be set up separately on an iPad. The iPad User manual says "Add, rename, or delete a mailbox: In the mailbox list, tap edit. Some mailboxes can't be changed or deleted".

This should probably also say 'or added'. I use a POP server and Onetel, part of Talltalk, is my ISP. I can't add a mailbox. In fact when I tap Edit in Mailboxes all that happens is that Edit is replaced by Done.

Reaction score
I might be wrong (only just started to use iCloud) but I don't believe you can sync/import mail from other ISP mail servers into iCloud mail.
Would be good if I am wrong though!

C

chas_m

I'm confused: you say you're using iCloud, then say you're using a POP account from your ISP. Well, which one is it?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Oh dear. I don't think I'm on top of iCloud yet. I continue to use my non iCloud e-mail address. Are you saying that I should ditch it and use the iCloud for all e-mails? If so I can presumably export all my mailboxes. I don't think my wife will be happy with having to change her e-mail address!!

Maybe I should book a lesson at the Apple Store?

C

chas_m

I'm not saying you should ditch the non-iCloud email. I'm not sure what you want to accomplish yet.

Certainly if you have the opportunity to get in-person help with this, that would be something to take advantage of. In the meantime, here's a few basic concepts:

1. iCloud mail is IMAP, never mind what it stands for it means that all the mail and mailboxes are on a server. Apple's servers. And they are synced across multiple devices automatically.

2. POP mail is intended to be viewed and managed on one machine. While you can get your provider to retain some email for a while, it's really not intended for checking/managing on more than one device.

3. If you add an IMAP account to your Mail program on your iPad, all the folders/mailboxes you created for it that are on the server should sync (mine do). With POP your mailboxes/folders are local only so this doesn't happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.