Looking for router advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I have an original 500 MB time capsule that finally died. It looks like the power supply caps have failed and I just don't have the desire to resurrect right now. So I replaced it temporarily with an aging Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware. Now it has started acting up requiring reboots 3 to 4 times a day so I plan on replacing it with a new wireless router.

It needs to be fairly robust to handle multiple wired and wireless devices. Currently, I have 4 wired connections all the time, 3 wireless connections with the potential for 8 more wired and 6 more wireless connections. All wired connections are on a GB backbone in my house. All wireless devices are Mac centric devices such as iPads, IPod, IPhones. The desktops / servers are iMac, Mini, and Linux boxes.

I am considering the new AirPort Extreme as my first choice. Any other suggestions? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The new Airport Extreme is a decent router. I use the previous generation at work. Works fantastic supporting 15 wired connections (its connected to a switch) and several wireless devices too.

OP
bboggess
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Thanks for the info Stretch. Just had to reboot the router again. Headed to the Apple store tomorrow.

Bill

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is something wrong with that WRT54GL. They normally are dead stable devices. I have never used Tomato but just stock mine has gone years without a reboot and I have another with DDWRT that is the same way.

The Apple router should do you just fine.

Reaction score
I hope you were able to pick up a Time Capsule during your Apple Store visit. I've installed a few wireless routers over the years at both my home and other people's homes. By far, the TC is the easiest to set up. When I was finished, I was so surprised by the little amount of time that it took, I wondered if I missed a major step somewhere. Moments later, I realized it was just that easy.

OP
bboggess
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the delay, I did make it to the Apple store and purchased several items. It was a rather expensive trip that day. Bought the Wireless Extreme, a 64GB iPad Retina and a 32 GB iPad Mini. The Wireless extreme setup was easy, even configuring the port forwarding for a couple of servers on my network. I was previously using a 1st generation Time Capsule prior to the Linksys WRT54G. It took longer to reassign the IP addresses for the servers than the setup did. (I assign static IP addresses for all of my desktops and servers).

This was my first iPad and the experience has been great. It seems to be a solid product and even my rather un-computer literate wife loves her Mini.

Awaiting the new iPhone in September...

Bill

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad the Apple router did it for you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry for the delay, I did make it to the Apple store and purchased several items. It was a rather expensive trip that day. Bought the Wireless Extreme, a 64GB iPad Retina and a 32 GB iPad Mini. The Wireless extreme setup was easy, even configuring the port forwarding for a couple of servers on my network. I was previously using a 1st generation Time Capsule prior to the Linksys WRT54G. It took longer to reassign the IP addresses for the servers than the setup did. (I assign static IP addresses for all of my desktops and servers).

This was my first iPad and the experience has been great. It seems to be a solid product and even my rather un-computer literate wife loves her Mini.

Awaiting the new iPhone in September...

Bill

I was going to ask what you bought me while you were on that spending spree but I think your wallet has had enough of a workout. :Mischievous::Mischievous:

OP
bboggess
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL.... The budget definitely took a hit that day. Maybe next time Slydude :)

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On the Linksys don't throw it away sometimes or most of the time its a bad wall wart you can pick them up at most electronic supply houses for under 10 bucks all it has to be off is 1 volt for things to act up.
Just saying box it up for a spare.

OP
bboggess
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, osxx piqued my curiosity on the Linksys router. I decided to take it apart and take a peek at a few things. I opened the case and noted that there were a couple of cold solder joints at the power supply connector. Fixed those and checked the rest of the circuit board. After fixing the connections, I checked the voltage for the wall wart power supply and noted that instead of 12 V it was running around 13.5V. Threw my oscilloscope on the power supply and found 3 volts of ripple on a 12 V power supply. Definitely not good.

When it comes to components, I never throw anything out. I happened to have a 12v 1amp power supply. Plugged it in and it has been running as an access point for 24 hours without having to reboot. Once it runs for a few days, I'll put it back on the shelf as a spare.

Just thought y'all would like to know the final fix.

Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Threw my oscilloscope on the power supply and found 3 volts of ripple on a 12 V power supply. Definitely not good.

I wonder how many folks even know how to do that? When I was working for the government as a computer repair tech we used our scopes to even measure voltage. Good stuff! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I had one of the original Airport Expresses that had the power supply cook itself. If I had a equivalent power supply, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it working again, the Express board was fine, just one of the caps on the power supply burnt up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.