Graphics card(s) shot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.0G Core i7, 8G RAM, 500G SSD; 2015 rMBP 13" 12,1 2.7GHz ,128GB
My Early 2011 15" MBP has been having some issues lately. It seems to happen when I am running iPhoto or other apps that require switching to the discrete graphics card. Sometimes, lines appear, the screen goes dark, or something crazy like photo I have attached. I have run hardware tests and everything passes. It seems to be fine if I set gfx to integrated only. Anyone have any ideas?

photo.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly (just for technical sake)...MacBook Pro's don't have graphics cards. They do have "graphics hardware"...which is soldered onto the logic board...not removeable...and not upgradeable.

"Graphics card" is sort of old terminology from the desktop computer days...which had removable & upgradeable "graphics cards".

Ok with that out of the way...I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. I see the photo you included. The left photo looks a little fuzzy...the right one looks more in focus. Is this the issue you are talking about?

Did you check what the display resolution is. Maybe it got changed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Nick, the big black bar through the screen is the issue. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, the big black bar through the screen is the issue. ;)

Ohh is that it!;)

Honestly...when I first looked at the photo (screenshot)...I thought that it was some sort of split-screen...displaying two photos (one on the left & one on the right).

I'm also seeing two sets of drop-down menus at the top as well...leading me to believe that some sort of split-screen thing was going on.

But if that black vertical bar down the middle is the issue...ahh-ha!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.