• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac late 2006 10.6.8 & iMac 2.7 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.2
You are quite right, TattooedMac. I was just pissed off at myself for not doing my homework BEFORE I installed MacKeeper. It's not this Forum's fault, and I apologize. Sometimes I feel like I have a bit of Microsoft software in my head. No excuse.
This Forum is too important, and too much fun, for me to stay away.
Your indulgence is asked for. My hissy-fit is over. C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You are quite right, TattooedMac. I was just pissed off at myself for not doing my homework BEFORE I installed MacKeeper. It's not this Forum's fault, and I apologize. Sometimes I feel like I have a bit of Microsoft software in my head. No excuse.
This Forum is too important, and too much fun, for me to stay away.
Your indulgence is asked for. My hissy-fit is over. C.

Ahh ok. Understood and thanks for explaining. I was a little harsh, but i'm a little protective of my 3rd home, and people putting blame where its un-warranted.
Glad Miss HissyFit is ova ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac8, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hardrive
MacKeeper

I have a 2008 refurbished 24" iMac. It has been a jewel of a machine, software problems excluded. The only time it has been taken to the apple repair guys was due to software conflicts and other problems created by my ignorant installation of MacKeeper (2012).
A knowledgeable repairman went through our mac and thoroughly cleaned it of all traces of MacKeeper, then made sure all of the updates were installed properly. It has worked very well since then. Now I research THOROUGHLY any new software I'm interested in buying, then research it some more before finally deciding. In my humble opinion, less is more.
If you don't need it A LOT, don't buy it and don't risk creating problems. Dealing with OS updates is difficult enough.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a 2008 refurbished 24" iMac. It has been a jewel of a machine, software problems excluded. The only time it has been taken to the apple repair guys was due to software conflicts and other problems created by my ignorant installation of MacKeeper (2012).
A knowledgeable repairman went through our mac and thoroughly cleaned it of all traces of MacKeeper, then made sure all of the updates were installed properly. It has worked very well since then. Now I research THOROUGHLY any new software I'm interested in buying, then research it some more before finally deciding. In my humble opinion, less is more.
If you don't need it A LOT, don't buy it and don't risk creating problems. Dealing with OS updates is difficult enough.

Cyndy, I agree 100%. Less is definitely more when it comes to 3rd party applications.;)

Reaction score
I saw Onyx was mentioned above. Has any forum member had a problem with this application?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, that is why we recommend Onyx.

It has been recommended here since before I got my first Mac.
You can see that date to the left.
Have yet to see a single issue reported.

(Other than folks downloading the wrong version or Gatekeeper preventing it's installation.)

Oh, and get it direct from Titanium to make sure you get the correct version.

There are a very few paid apps also recommended such as Cocktail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MacKeeper is too Rude

I could hardly add anything worth much to the expert discussions. But, I tried MacKeeper, took it off, put it back, and finally divorced it in full, basically for one reason, you cannot turn it off and on, once installed, it always runs "because it has to talk with the mother ship." But, that doesn't work for me; I don't want any software beyond the OS I install on my machine that I can't stop or start as I wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't call it software Michael. It is crapware!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I could hardly add anything worth much to the expert discussions. But, I tried MacKeeper, took it off, put it back, and finally divorced it in full, basically for one reason, you cannot turn it off and on, once installed, it always runs "because it has to talk with the mother ship." But, that doesn't work for me; I don't want any software beyond the OS I install on my machine that I can't stop or start as I wish.

Good for you Michael. I recently called on a friend who was having a few problems with her 2009 MBP, after a little housekeeping I noted the dreaded icon on the tool bar and asked her how long she had been using MacKeeper. She didn't know what it was what it did or where it had come from! It seems her son may have installed it for her. I removed it and since doing that she reports her MBP seems to be running a lot faster on startup (she does only have 2gb RAM). As far as I can see the only good thing MacKeeper does is uninstall itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
On a positive note:

At least they gave me my money back!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's good news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
After reading and absorbing this discussion, I assume other TPSoftware may be bad as well. I have seen other reviews on some that I was using and since I enjoy my MBP Retina so much, I elected to take them off and let Mavericks take care of my 512SSD. That said, since I removed several of them, and I won't name them here, would it be wise for me to reinstall the OS of Mountain Lion and do the upgrades of Mavericks, etc... I have not experienced any issues with my MBP and it runs fine, I guess I could wait on the release of Yosemite and go from there. Any advice from you with much more OSX time than me, will no doubt be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Mackeeper

Perplexed by the "habit" of both my Macs (MacbookPro 17", iMac vintage 2007 with SSD) to revert to an English keyboard, when I wanted primarily an Italian one (plus several other languages that I use) some forum-ites hypothesized that MacKeeper could be the mischievous factor. I uninstalled it in both machines and my problem, while not totally solved, became less acute than in the Mackeeper era. I then got up the courage to try Clean-my-Mac and so far it has treated me well. I'd keep an AppZapper handy, however, since "Clean..." doesn't give me very precise information about what they will do when I request a zap.

Reaction score
The shady way in which MacKeeper operates (popups and hidden downloads on fake buttons of websites) should be enough to tell anyone to stay the **** away from this product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The shady way in which MacKeeper operates (popups and hidden downloads on fake buttons of websites) should be enough to tell anyone to stay the **** away from this product.

Curious Luther Mac, how did you find out about the 'pop ups & fake bottons'? Dave :)

Reaction score
Curious Luther Mac, how did you find out about the 'pop ups & fake bottons'? Dave :)

I use Dirpy to download my music.

I use First Row to watch sports.

I use Movies8k to watch movies.

All have nasty popup windows and hidden buttons. And MacKeeper is all over them. I was using Dirpy last week and ended up with some advertising/pop up extension being installed into my Chrome browser. Was a mess til I figured out how to remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I use Dirpy to download my music.

I use First Row to watch sports.

I use Movies8k to watch movies.

All have nasty popup windows and hidden buttons. And MacKeeper is all over them. I was using Dirpy last week and ended up with some advertising/pop up extension being installed into my Chrome browser. Was a mess til I figured out how to remove it.

Well there's your problem. You are using services that specialize in retransmitting copyrighted material (i.e. piracy). These places are havens for malware.

Reaction score
Well there's your problem. You are using services that specialize in retransmitting copyrighted material (i.e. piracy). These places are havens for malware.

Which was the point of my post....

MacKeeper = Malware

Or at the very least, operates in the same manner. Which should tell anyone to avoid it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Which was the point of my post....

MacKeeper = Malware

Or at the very least, operates in the same manner. Which should tell anyone to avoid it.

No, MacKeeper is not malware. It's a badly coded piece of poo with a very aggressive marketing campaign, but it is not the root of your adware issues. Your issues are rooted in your failure to adhere to "safe" practices on the internet.

Reaction score
It's a badly coded piece of poo with a very aggressive marketing campaign,

Sounds like u just described malware to a T.

but it is not the root of your adware issues. Your issues are rooted in your failure to adhere to "safe" practices on the internet.

Ya. It's my fault that there is a "badly coded piece of poo that has very aggressive marketing".

My internet practices would be plenty safe if not for this schitty companies and their crap products and the BS way they market them. Anyone that creates a pop up window that cant be closed without also downloading their product deserves the firing squad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.