• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you for your article! A couple of queries:
1) I've been happily using "Clean my Mac" after scuttling MKeeper, but are they somehow in cahoots with Mkeeper?
2) Will I find, in your article about Mac protection anything on anti-virus protection that covers both Mac and the Windows partition in my Mac? I know Kaspersky has something, but I'm wondering if there are alternatives.

Well, you are likely to receive the same advice, i.e. remove 'Clean My Mac' (or whatever name it may be?), and again as w/ MacKeeper, you need to check for an 'uninstall' program or directions online to remove the entire program.

Onyx is the 'maintenance' program that is typically recommended on the forum - if you want to give it a try, then follow the link directly to their website and select the appropriate version for your OS X.

Ghostery & AdBlock are Safari extensions also recommended, along w/ Adaware Medic as a removal tool - there is no need for AV software on your Mac partition (unless you feel malware could be passed from that location to your Windows partition, then a passive app, such as ClamXav might be considered); BUT, as to the Windows partition, treat that like a separate PC and protect it from malware. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Really helpful what you reply. I gather from what you suggest that there's no scandal about Clean my Mac, but I'll look into Onyx.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really helpful what you reply. I gather from what you suggest that there's no scandal about Clean my Mac, but I'll look into Onyx.

It has been my experience that CleanMyMac is nothing like the invasive and insidious MacKeeper having used it on two computers for over 8 years. It only does what you want it to do effectively. Having said that I always have a current backup before running a full automatic cleanup.
Onyx is on the other hand is a repair program.
Other than those personal observations I agree with all of RadDave's suggestions regarding extensions and applications and use them all myself.

Reaction score
New years is coming. Mac keeper 2015 will be coming out. They say it will have Human assistance. I think onyx is better. What do you think?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to the two of you. Indeed, I found the beta version of Onyx, which seems to work pretty well. Relieved, too, to hear the Clean my Mac has behaved properly for 8 years.

Reaction score
New years is coming. Mac keeper 2015 will be coming out. They say it will have Human assistance. I think onyx is better. What do you think?
If you really enjoy working to repair and maintain your computer instead of just using it, then by all means try the new Mackeeper.
Personally I'd rather just use mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, I've not used Clean My Mac and cannot comment about 'no scandal' above - you'll have to rely on the advise of others as discussed in Rod's post. As to 'cleaners' I have only Onyx on my Macs.

Many thanks to the two of you. Indeed, I found the beta version of Onyx, which seems to work pretty well. Relieved, too, to hear the Clean my Mac has behaved properly for 8 years.

The current 'beta' version for Onyx relates to a Yosemite update, and unless you are a developer, playing around w/ a potentially buggy app may be a little foolish - just saying?

Plus, in your signature, you state that your OS X is Mavericks, thus you need to DL the version that is specific for that operating system, as shown below - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 12.52.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave reminds me I have to update with "mac-forums" the system information. I have Yosemite on both Macs, however, in any case, my intention is to look at the Onyx site from time to time and eventually replace the Beta (not automatic in the case of a Beta, according to the Onyx website).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.