Switching to Mountain Lion - Will it slow down my system?

Reaction score
I'm running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on my Late-2008 Aluminum Macbook, which has been upgraded with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

My question is: do you think that upgrading to Mountain Lion would slow down my system noticeably? I've heard conflicting things. I know it would be a bit slower, but with 8GB of RAM, will it be serious?

BONUS QUESTION! Should I wait and switch to Mavericks? And would that slow down my system proportionally more? I realize that any answers to this question are educated guesses at this point.

Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you are considering upgrading all the way to Mavericks...then I say wait until it is released.

Since Mavericks has not been released yet...we still do not know 100%...what the system requirements are...and what the upgrade path is.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
If you are considering upgrading all the way to Mavericks...then I say wait until it is released.

Since Mavericks has not been released yet...we still do not know 100%...what the system requirements are...and what the upgrade path is.

I didn't state the question clearly enough. (1) Should I upgrade to Mountain Lion or wait until Mavericks, which depends on (2) would Mountain Lion slow down my system considerably, and would Mavericks do so even more? (Best guess).

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I didn't state the question clearly enough. (1) Should I upgrade to Mountain Lion or wait until Mavericks, which depends on (2) would Mountain Lion slow down my system considerably, and would Mavericks do so even more? (Best guess).

I understood what you meant.:) Basically I cannot remember anyone complaining about Mountain Lion (10.8) slowing things down. And since Mavericks (10.9) hasn't been released yet...it's hard to say if Mavericks will slow things down or not.

As a general rule of thumb...one thing you must know. A late 2008 MacBook is the oldest supported MacBook for Mountain Lion (and probably will be the oldest MacBook supported for Mavericks). So as a computer model at the cut-off...it must be assumed that a late 2008 MacBook should be able to run Mountain Lion or Mavericks ok...but not as good as a 2011, 2012, or 2013 model computer.

But like I said above. I cannot remember anyone complaining about Mountain Lion (10.8) slowing things down...and we really don't know about Mavericks yet...since it has not been released.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.