Swiping through pictures (without using iPhoto)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
Dear all,

I decided to post this in the ”Switcher Hangout” as I am still relatively new to OSX (Mountain Lion).

I do though have a question which I was unable to figure out by googling it. From my child's kindergarten we regularly receive (high resolution) pictures that I typically then save in a particular folder on my Mac. When opening the folder and wanting to go through the pictures I click on a picture and it opens with ”Preview”. But Preview does not allow me to ”swipe” through the pictures as you would see in iPhoto.

Due to the fact that I personally choose not to import pictures in iPhoto, I do wish to know if there is a way that I can quickly use the swipe gesture, using a particular app, to go through my pictures in a particular folder (as in: open one picture, and then use the swipe gesture to go to the next).

I know that in finder you can use coverflow, but it is to small for my taste. Also the preview mode can be used in Finder which is also to small for my taste. Lastly, the enlarging of the icons which shows the pictures doesnt do it for me either.

I simply want to have a picture-viewing program that I can set as default to open pictures of my choice (e.g. jpg file format), and then use the swipe gesture to go through them one by one without having to open each one of them separately as with Preview. Until now I have been unable to find such handy program

Any advise on what app I should use for what I want?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may want to give Picasa a try?? Don't know for sure if it will do that - only use it on my Windows machines.

Or, instead of actually opening the pic in Preview - just use Quick Look in the Finder.
While in Finder with a pic highlighted - instead of opening it, hit the space bar - you can then use the arrow keys to move forward and backward with a quick look through the files in that folder.
When you're done, hit the space bar again.
This works for a whole bunch of file types - not just pics.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
@bobtomay

Thank you for input, but I am actually looking for a light weight Mac app (not Picassa) that I can make my default picture viewer where once I open one particular picture in a folder, I can then swipe through the rest with the two-finger gesture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you select all the files you want to look at and double click them, they will open up in Preview in one window that you can scroll down with your trackpad.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you select all the files you want to look at and double click them, they will open up in Preview in one window that you can scroll down with your trackpad.

Superb answer. I tried it and it worked instantly.

Big thumbs up for your response and solution!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Thanks! Glad it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

A new MBP (March '13) owner myself and was trying to find a way to view my imported camera images and do quick deletes - I use a Panasonic Lumix 'point & shoot' camera, so usually will take 2-4 shots of each scene; when imported into the computer from the SD card, I like to quickly view the 'duplicates' and then save just the 'best' one.

Your suggestion solves that issue for me - in my pictures folder in Finder, I just draw a box around those images desired, then 'double click' on one, and as you said all will open in one Finder window; in the right box swiping pans through the images - for deletions, moving the cursor to the left box and 'double clicking' allows a quick deletion. Thanks! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool! Glad to be of service!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

How does this work with a desktop (Mini) ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, my description was using my MBP w/ OS 10.8.4, so yes! :)
Ok, but not a yes/no question. I did the highlight all and double click steps, which opened Preview. Then I clicked the slideshow button, then Pause, then the arrows. In the past, I had tried opening one image in a folder, and couldn't get the Slideshow button to do anything. This is just another feature undocumented by Apple that users are supposed to pick up somehow. One more thing this forum is good for! But, shouldn't there be a ReadMe file, like in the old days? (5, maybe 10 years ago)

Down arrow key.
Nothing. But I got it to change with the right and left arrow keys!

M

MacInWin

@toMACsh, curious. On my Preview, both up/down and left/right move through the list. I've never used the L/R, I guess because I have the thumbnails turned on and they show in a column beside the main window. In any case, good that you found out how to move it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

CTRL A will select all. Just in case you (like me until recently) didn't know.

Another tip if you only want to see large thumbnails is when in Finder, thumbnail view, adjust the size of the thumbnails to maximum (slider at bottom right of screen) then adjust window so that it's only one thumbnail wide. Arrow keys will quickly allow you to travel up and down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
That's COMMAND A, not CTRL A actually.
Absolutely right! I'd been working on my wife's work dell laptop and it fuddled my brain. Sorry OP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.