Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion HELP

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

So I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that came with Leopard originally. I upgraded to Snow Leopard (and unfortunately can't find my cd for it). I want to upgrade to Mountain Lion BUT I would like to erase everything and start clean. I backed everything up so that I can recover the files I need and get rid of all the other junk. Here are my questions:

1) How can I completely clean my macbook and get to Mountain Lion?

2) Would I be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion first, and then reformat so that I can sweep my macbook clean and also return to a fresh Mountain Lion?
3) If not, would I be able to sweep my macbook but keep my Snow Leopard since I can't find the CD and would rather not buy another one (this way I can still upgrade straight to Mountain Lion).

Also, my brother bought a macbook in 2012. It came with Snow Leopard but he bought it a week before Lion came out so he got Lion for free. Does the Mac OS X Install DVD that came with his laptop have Snow Leopard on it? Would I be able to use it to reboot my macbook and then upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Any help is much appreciated. My thoughts/ideas are all over the place so I'm just making sure I go with what is most efficient without screwing anything up.

Wayne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion

As for the brother's DVD. It is never a good idea to use a DVD for one model Mac on another model. They put different "drivers" on the specific DVDs and leave out the drivers for other models.

HTH

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that came with Leopard originally.

If you really have a 2011 MacBook Pro...then it came with Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard is OS 10.6. Snow Leopard was released Summer 2009. "Leopard" (OS 10.5)...was no longer shipped with new Mac computers after Summer 2009.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard (and unfortunately can't find my cd for it). I want to upgrade to Mountain Lion BUT I would like to erase everything and start clean.

Here's a link to purchase a Snow Leopard disk:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.