Ripping CDs in Apple Lossless

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I am trying to upload songs from one of my cds onto itunes in apple lossless format. My version of itunes is 11.0.4 and I'm having some trouble. I went into the itunes tab at the top of the screen, selected preferences and then import settings and changed it to ALAC. However, when I put the CD into the computer and upload the songs, i go to my library to make sure they downloaded correctly and find that when i right click and select "get info" that they downloaded in 256 kbps. What should I do?

Thanks,
Matt

C

chas_m

ALAC is a format, and 256kbps is a bit rate. These are two different things, and thus you can have an ALAC file at 256kbps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, latest iTunes here. I selected Apple Lossless from the Import settings and there is no way to change it. It's Automatic with no change of Bit Rate possible. It's always just worked for me. I wonder what is up on the OP's end?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Exactly same for me. Automatic Bit Rate, no choices.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, are you sure you are choosing Apple Lossless and not something else? Lossless has never had a Bitrate choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.