Portable plug in Scanner ~ Best out there ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
While I'm away for 1/2/3 hrs installing a SSD into my Optical Drive, i want to know, if anyone has a portable scanner that they have used for their old paper Photo's ??

My girl said i have the Printer, but that sends shivers down my spine, because the setting up of every different size to fit and then the white edges and then having to individually open the lid, put another in there and so on, it aint going to happen.

So anyone know of a good scanner i can have sitting beside me, where i can just keep feeding the 1000's of old photos into and they are put onto my Mac in the pre-defined folder. Price isn't a worry, but in realistic terms, I'm not wanting a $500 portable scanner, but i do want one that is good, keeps the original colours of the photos, scans to RAW, .jpg or have a option of what format. Would like to be able to scan in RAW but not a biggie.

Links, Product names, Company names anything, that i can look at later and thanks in advance :)

Off to play Geeky Techie :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Brent:

I can't recommend a good portable scanner for OS X but what I do is this:

We have a business account with Staples (office supply chain store here in US) where I take everything to be scanned, printed (color and BW), or arranged in folders, whatever. I find it cheaper to do photos, scanning, and large printing jobs there rather than pay for the consumables myself. Color scanning especially photos, and then printing them on photo paper eats the color cartridges on my printers, and then there's the expensive paper.

If you have lots (1000s) of photos to scan, even BW, you might want to check around and see what it would cost to have it done at a local office supply store instead of doing it yourself.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for that Charlie. I live in the Boonies and 300kms to the Big Smoke, but I'll get a hold of Office Works in a Little Big City 2 hrs away and see what they have there.
I don't want to print them, just preserve them for now.

Appreciate the reply, as it seems reasonable to do and i know Office Works do that sort of thing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
We use Fujitisu scanners at work to scan files. I haven't tested the quality of photo scans are we have it set to just do greyscale documents. But I do know it does full color scans. They have a few models I believe, some are Mac versions with OS X software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.