Cannot activate iPhone

Reaction score
I have just with Vodafone's assistance unlocked my iPhone 3GS, only to find that iTunes cannot activate the telephone. I have checked that all of my software is the latest version. Any suggestions ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you have a new sim card in from another provider?

Please explain exactly the process you're going through

OP
P
Reaction score
No, as suggested by Vodafone, I am using the same simcard, and carrying out a Restore via iTunes: "The iPhone has now been unlocked – Please replace the SIM (use a SIM which has never been used with this iPhone) and connect to iTunes or perform a software restore via iTunes."

Process: when I had received the message saying that the iPhone was now unlocked, I connected it to this MacBook Air, and used iTunes to Restore. Everything seemed to proceed normally, with the progress-gauge showing that to be the case, but finally iTunes said that it could not verify the device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Vodafone, their usual brilliant selves.

You didn't need to do a restore. You just put the new sim card in and connect to iTunes.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have just tried that, but with the same result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try a factory reset, then attempt activation before a restore.

If that doesn't work I'd give Apple a call.

OP
P
Reaction score
How do I do a Factory Reset without access to iTunes ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Settings - General - Reset on the phone - provided you can get that far

OP
P
Reaction score
No, I cannot get there. Thank you for your help, and I am just about to go to the nearest Vodafone shop to see if they can sort this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd suggest you'll get more help from Apple but good luck. Let us know the result

OP
P
Reaction score
I have just spoken to a most helpful chap at Apple, who told me that what I am trying to do may take at least 1 hour or more, and to try again. I did so, and all is now well. Better still, he declined to charge me for helping me.

Thank you for your excellent advice !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff.

Thanks for posting back too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.