SSD no fan issues

Reaction score
Just installed a Samsung 512k 840 pro SSD in my MacPro mid 2010 3.2 quad core machine. I swapped out the existing HD and it is fast. It is also super quite as the fan no longer seems to run. Now the machine gets really warm. I have installed a "Fan Control" app that was supposed to be for iMacs and macbooks and it seems to work. Now it just runs at what ever speed I set it to.
Any thoughts on how fast to run the fans and is the "right way to resolve the fan issue on the macpro?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We are discussing a Mac Pro and not a MacBook Pro?

If a Mac Pro, the front fan should still run regardless of the type of hard drive installed. Not that keen on SMCfancontrol and such as they do interfere with Apple's designed operation of the fan/s.

Have you given the machine a good blow out to remove any dust?

OP
Red5
Reaction score
HI, thanks for the reply, yes this is a Mac Pro. I cleaned it pretty well during the install of the SSD, I wonder if there is an issue with the 840 pro SSD from Samsung. It seems as if this SSD is meant for a PC but will work in a Mac. I've read that the heat sensor may have been in the old hard drive? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No such things as Mac or PC hard drives. All depends on the formatting.

OP
Red5
Reaction score
The drive is working fine, the issue has something to do with a heat sensor, does anybody know if there is a heat sensor in a MacPro mid 2010 3.2 quad core machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may like to try this:-

Temperature Monitor: Description.

There are heat sensors however the norm is for the fans to ramp up to full power if disconnected from the mother board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.