• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

auto launch program when connecting camera

Reaction score
This is my first post so hello all! I've got a quad-core Mac Pro running osx 10.8.4. I record, edit and produce video with Adobe CS5.5 Master's Collection. I capture the video directly to disk from a Sony HDR FX1 to Adobe OnLocation connected via firewire. With this setup on my PC, OnLocation launches automatically as soon as I connect my camera and turn it on. On my Mac Pro, I need to manually open OnLocation. Is there a way to automate this process?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Look in iPhoto's preferences. Should be able to change auto-open there.
Not really sure, don't have iphoto on my macbook for some reason, did a search on Google.

OP
W
Reaction score
Look in iPhoto's preferences. Should be able to change auto-open there.
Not really sure, don't have iphoto on my macbook for some reason, did a search on Google.

Actually, nothing launches when I connect my camera. Any program that I wish to use with it needs to be launched manually. I don't have iPhoto either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not at a Mac right now, but check in the preferences for the Image Capture app.

Reaction score
Only other thing I can recommend is Default Apps.
Rubicode - RCDefaultApp
I use it. Never had any problems with it. It has settings for webcams and whatnot, might work for video cameras.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep - Image Capture - seems they've removed Preferences from it in 10.8.

To set your default app, need to plug in the camera.
On the sidebar, if it's not showing, click the arrow at the bottom.
This will give you the "Connecting this camera opens:"
And a drop down menu to pick a selection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.