Trouble installing OSX on new SSD's in 15" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have a Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro (MacbookPro6,2) 2.4GHz. I just upgraded to 2 new Samsung 840 pro 128GB SSD's and setup a RAID 0 Configuration, however, previous to the upgrade, I had Mavericks Developer Preview 10.9 installed (not through the app store but another improper way). So when I went to setup the RAID config, I had a Mountain Lion recovery assistant USB plugged in, however I just turned it on instead of holding option, but it still took me to a Disk utilities program, however it had a OSX Developer preview installer instead of Mountain Lion. Anyway, I setup up the RAID 0 config, by partitioning each drive to 1 partition, then striped RAIDed them. Then I went back to the main menu to try and install the OSX that it had (10.9 developer preview) but it asked for a sign on and password to the app store which obviously didn't work. So I tried to get the Mountain Lion installer instead by rebooting, holding option and selecting the ML recovery assistant USB, which worked perfectly, however, it still had a 10.9 developer preview installer and no Mountain Lion installer. Then I tried simply restoring from the backup that I had, however, it says I only have 237GB available on the RAID config when in fact I have 255GB. The time machine backup was definitely under 255Gb, hovering around 237GB, obviously over. I have a backup from June 20 that complies with it's 237GB restriction, which is oddly the last backup with Mountain Lion on it. If I restore it to that backup will the newer backups stay put? It is really important that I don't lose the newer ones. Could I then restore to the newest backup to get my stuff back if it believes I have 255GB left? Most preferably, is there a way I can get it to install Mountain Lion instead and go from there? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Filling your drives up to capacity is foolish. Even if you "can" do it, you have no space to add files or for your cache to "breathe". You need more space. A lot more than you have now. Your only other proper alternative is to re-download Mountain Lion from the App Store and make a clean installation; then cherry pick what you want to reinstall and migrate over.

When you do re-download ML, make yourself a backup of that installer and make yourself a USB install stick.
How to create a bootable USB to install OS X - TechRepublic

OP
B
Reaction score
I did download a Mountain Lion Installer, I said that. I said: "So I tried to get the Mountain Lion installer instead by rebooting, holding option and selecting the ML recovery assistant USB, which worked perfectly, however, it still had a 10.9 developer preview installer and no Mountain Lion installer." How do I get the OSX Mountain Lion installer to work (let me install mountain lion)? And prior to the installation of the drives, I deleted as much as I could from my computer so it would fit on the new drives, even making sure it was more than 10GB under following the commands of other forums about drive capacity problems. I was not aware that time machine would think I only had 237GB available for some unknown reason. Can you answer my question about if I can go to an old backup without the newer ones disappearing? As well as if there is a way to get the ML installer to work. It's been really bugging me and I really need to fix it because I have important files on my computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dangerous that pirating Maverick. Best option may be a format of the drives and clean install of ML.

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you kidding me. That is exactly what I did. Reformatted the drives. I have 255GB of space. I use a Mountain Lion Recovery assistant USB, boot from it by holding option and selecting it, then it still only gives me the option of installing Mavericks, which doesn't work ugh. HALP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you download the Mountain Lion installer from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did download a Mountain Lion Installer, I said that. I said: "So I tried to get the Mountain Lion installer instead by rebooting, holding option and selecting the ML recovery assistant USB, which worked perfectly, however, it still had a 10.9 developer preview installer and no Mountain Lion installer." How do I get the OSX Mountain Lion installer to work (let me install mountain lion)? And prior to the installation of the drives, I deleted as much as I could from my computer so it would fit on the new drives, even making sure it was more than 10GB under following the commands of other forums about drive capacity problems. I was not aware that time machine would think I only had 237GB available for some unknown reason. Can you answer my question about if I can go to an old backup without the newer ones disappearing? As well as if there is a way to get the ML installer to work. It's been really bugging me and I really need to fix it because I have important files on my computer

Listen to yourself. You are making no sense at all. You have a Mountain Lion "Recovery" USB that has a Mavericks installer and it will only install Mavericks? I don't know what exactly this "Recovery" USB is that you have or you think you have. I don't know how you made it or what happened to it and honestly I don't care. You want to get up and running? Stop second guessing us and pay attention. You need to start from scratch with a fresh download off the App Store and re-make your USB installer. Use Lion DiskMaker to be sure it's done right.

One thing that is crystal is that, to be perfectly blunt, you don't know what you are doing. You replaced your hard drive with a pair of drives that together aren't big enough to hold your data (or "barely" so, which isn't any better). And you put a pirated developer preview of an unreleased OS on a computer with important files? Well I hope you have learned your lesson here. Mavericks is still in alpha testing for a reason!

OP
B
Reaction score
I downloaded this OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0 and put it on a usb, following everything properly and exactly how I was supposed to. When I boot holding option, it comes up as 10.9 recovery. I don't have a clue why. I did the whole process of setting up a Mountain Lion Recovery USB correctly and it still comes up as 10.9 recovery. And as I said before, I was advised to clear at least 10GB, which I did. I am getting an external hard drive later on when I can so I can expand.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please pay attention to what member lifeisabeach wrote in post # 7 and follow his instructions. You got yourself in trouble with the illegal copy of Mavericks so you now have to start over. If not, we're through here.

OP
B
Reaction score
I admit that it was a bad idea to get a dodgy new operating system with important files, but that's the reason why I'm trying to go back to Mountain Lion. I'd like to reinforce the fact that the whole recovery usb process was done properly. Also that Lion DiskMaker thing is redundant, as I have no mac to install it with. Help. Please

OP
B
Reaction score
If no one has any intention of helping me with this problem. Can you please answer one question, if I restore to an old backup, can I restore again to a more recent backup later or will they be deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mid-2010 MacBook Pro came with Snow Leopard on a DVD. Reinstall Snow Leopard. You will obviously have to either reinstall your DVD drive (assuming you removed it to put in one of your SSDs) or purchase an external DVD drive. Then re-download Mountain Lion from the App Store. Once done, migrate your apps and data back from your backup. This is your BEST option, if not the only one.

In fact, you should just remove those SSDs entirely and go back to the stock drive. You simply don't have enough space anyway, unless you plan to significantly trim the amount of data you are keeping on them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.