Photo processing software

Reaction score
My MBP came with iPhoto11, and I like it a lot for the basics. I want to do rather more than iPhoto can manage however, and I was going to go straight to Photoshop. Now that that's only available on a very expensive monthly licence I've lost interest in it (and I've never really understood it). I've used Lightroom in the past but hate the way it forcibly manages the pictures, even though its editing capabilities seem quite good. But how good is Aperture, and should I consider it as an alternative? The most advanced operation I want to perform is removing the background from a photo, leaving the main subject in the foreground, and substituting either a blank background or maybe a different image on which to superimpose the subject. Can Aperture do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try Pixelmator ($14.99) in the Mac App Store. It's not Photoshop but it can do many of the things that you mentioned. I'm not familiar with Aperture so perhaps someone else can chime in and answer your question about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Have a look at Photoshop Elements.
Its a lot cheaper than Photoshop and should do everything you want.

C

chas_m

You'll need to reveal to us specifically what it is you want to do (and why you find iPhoto can't meet your needs) in order to get good recommendations.

Aperture is -- essentially -- just like Lightroom, just made by Apple so it does things even more in the Apple way of doing things.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll need to reveal to us specifically what it is you want to do (and why you find iPhoto can't meet your needs) in order to get good recommendations.

The following seems to be pretty specific to me.

... The most advanced operation I want to perform is removing the background from a photo, leaving the main subject in the foreground, and substituting either a blank background or maybe a different image on which to superimpose the subject. Can Aperture do that?

I have never even considered doing that, so can't advise a direction for you.

C

chas_m

No, Aperture and iPhoto and Lightroom can't do that. They are photo managers with some editing features, not photo editors. You need a program like Snapheal or Inpaint for just removing backgrounds and touching up pictures. For more money -- but also more abilities -- Photoshop Elements or Photoshop itself is also a good choice.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll look at them. Do you know which is better/better regarded?

C

chas_m

I personally prefer Snapheal to Inpaint, but you should be able to locate free trials at the developers' sites so you can test and compare.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. I've downloaded both but haven't had time to try either as yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.