iPhotos --HELP ! your wise mind please

Reaction score
I spent 3 hours yesterday to read the whole "Help" session of iPhoto but couldn't find the answer of the following, Could anybody please help me

After I successfully import a photo (say picture X taken at 1.15pm on 24/07/2013), when I try to find this picture X through finder, it appears SEVEN files of same photos as follows.

1. picture X.JPG (capital letter of JPG) with big MB size (the biggest of 7) and timing at the time I took the shot (1.15pm)

2. picture X. jpg (small letter of jpg) with very small size like 50kb and timing at 2hr after the shot is taken. (3.15pm)

3. same name as "2" above (same size) but timing is 1 mins plus of i.e. 3.16pm.

4. picture X_1024.jpg (small letter of jpg) with medium size like 300kb and timing at 2hr after the shot is taken (3.15pm)

5. same name as "4" above (same size too) but timing is 1 mins plus of it i.e.3.16pm

6. Picture X_face0.jpg (small letter of jpg) with close up of the face of the person in picture. timing 2 hr after the shot is taken i.e. 3.15pm

7. same name as "6" above (same size same image) but timing is 1 mins plus i.e. 3.16pm

Picture 1 is in folder of iphoto library --> Master --> 2013 -->07-->24--->20130724-???(a set of like serial no.)

Picture 2-7 is in folder of iPhoto library--> Thrumbnail-->2013-->07--->24--->20130724 ### (a set of another serial like no.) --> ###### (a set of combination of letter + figures)

Some picture doesn't carry photo 6 & 7 !?

I am so confused. please help !

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 10.15.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 10.31.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 10.31.16 PM.png

C

chas_m

The problem here is, to be blunt, you.

Stop looking for photos in Finder. This is exactly the approach that caused Apple to finally HIDE the iPhoto Library away so people couldn't find it.

Open iPhoto. There is your picture. Do *****ANYTHING***** you want to do to that photo THERE. Never in Finder. Stop messing with the iPhoto Library database or you ***will*** lose your photos. The end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I thought chas_m was a bit hard with you there., although his answer as always is correct.
May I recommend one of the Tutors for iPhoto from the App Store. I found these very helpful when I started using iPhoto

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I might add here that the use of iPhoto is optional. Most new users of the Mac and OS X in general either love or hate iPhoto and\or learn to use it. I've learned to use iPhoto but that doesn't mean I like it.... :p

OP
N
Reaction score
The problem here is, to be blunt, you.

Stop looking for photos in Finder. This is exactly the approach that caused Apple to finally HIDE the iPhoto Library away so people couldn't find it.

Open iPhoto. There is your picture. Do *****ANYTHING***** you want to do to that photo THERE. Never in Finder. Stop messing with the iPhoto Library database or you ***will*** lose your photos. The end.

thanks all. No hard feeling at all. i love straight forward answer.

Chas_m : The fact is that I NEED to refer to finder when using word, ppt etc to insert file. When I do command "insert file", there're 2 options: 1)"photo browser " direct to iPhoto library but all images are JPG i.e. big file size, 2)"picture from file" could give me the choice of the above "7" options i.e. pasta a much smaller file size and this save a lot of time and space (I don't have to compress it afterwards to send).

You seem to be knowing quite well on iPhoto Library. do you have the answer of why there are '7" format then? I'm very curious to know :)

OP
N
Reaction score
I thought chas_m was a bit hard with you there., although his answer as always is correct.
May I recommend one of the Tutors for iPhoto from the App Store. I found these very helpful when I started using iPhoto

thanks. could you kindly give me more details for this? I'm a beginner in App Store too but I will try.

C

chas_m

thanks all. No hard feeling at all. i love straight forward answer.

Thank you for taking the answer in the spirit intended, which was to be helpful.

Chas_m : The fact is that I NEED to refer to finder when using word, ppt etc to insert file.When I do command "insert file", there're 2 options: 1)"photo browser " direct to iPhoto library but all images are JPG i.e. big file size

That's correct. Simply resize the image to fit in your Office document. JPGs are not large documents, they are highly compressed already and when you save the Office document, it will (if the preferences are set to do so) adjust the resolution to the optimum for your presentation, thus avoiding the large file sizes.

You seem to be knowing quite well on iPhoto Library. do you have the answer of why there are '7" format then? I'm very curious to know :)

That's probably the low-resolution thumbnail file used when you are perusing the iPhoto library but haven't opened a specific picture yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
thanks. could you kindly give me more details for this? I'm a beginner in App Store too but I will try.

Assuming you are using iPhoto 11 there are two tutors on the UK App Store both priced under £3. I assume this would be the same on the US store only of course priced in dollars.
Just search for "iPhoto tutor"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.