"Pages" problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1, yr.?, 120GB, 4GB RAM, OS 10.6.8
Hi everyone. New to this forum but not new to Macs. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!

OK. Bought used MacBook4,1 to replace faltering MacBookPro1,1. Loaded OS 10.6.0 on the "new-to-me" MB from disc that came as part of iWork '09. Then online I updated the MB OS to 10.6.8 AS IT WAS on the MBP with the iWork '09 trio, which had worked flawlessly for 3 years. Migrated data via FireWire from MBP to MB. iWork trio then would not load on MB but tracked down some Library Framework files that cured loading problem. Now I'm stuck 'cause even though the Pages/Numbers/Keynotes apps load, they will not open old files or create new ones. NOW WHAT? Do not get detailed error messages to help solve the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? Don't know if latest iWorks would work with 10.6.8 and like Snow Leopard.

Regards, gpzer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Start with the basics. Download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. Your problems may be permissions-related or who knows what else.

Also, where did the copy of iWork that you installed on the "new" MacBook come from? Did it come with that MacBook or is it a retail copy that you purchased previously? Either way, it should work. Also... as a matter of semantics... The OS doesn't come with iWork. Sometimes iWork is bundled with new systems though. Did you make sure iWork is updated also?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hi "life . . ." Have since gone thru specs options. If I HAD done it right it would have read: MacBook4,1, yr.?, 120GB, 4GB RAM, OS 10.6.8. There is no AV app., no MacKeeper (had been duly warned against), and Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner 5.0.21 (by Northern Software) is installed, though have not used it since the migration to MB. I read the "Tip" thread. Not knowledgeable enough to dive into Terminal. Cannot imagine how deletion of Global prefs would solve my problem but will try it. Also will take your advice and get Onyx. Got iWork '09 as box set that included 10.6.0. Might try iWork update if it's compatible with 10.6.8. Thx.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update on problem w/ iWork apps. Tried "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility w/ no luck. Used the diagnostics log from my Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to see what the error messages said. Here's a list:

"Pages" error messages

1. Symbol not found: _SFAAutosaveUserActivityException
2. Library not loaded: @rpath/SFCompatibility.framework/Versions/A/SFCompatibility
3. Symbol not found: _SFUExceptionNSErrorUserInfoKey

1. Symbol not found: _SFUExceptionNSErrorUserInfoKey

1. Symbol not found: _SFXTransform3DIdentity
2. Symbol not found: _SFAAutosaveUserActivityException

FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8

Searched for those above files on the MBPro that all this worked on before the migration of files. Nothing there.
H E L P ! Anybody got an idea?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Got iWork '09 as box set that included 10.6.0.

The Snow Leopard box set included iWork09 not the other way around. It also included iLife.... ;)

What I suggest is to completely remove iWork09 making sure you keep your documents separately backed up. Reinstall iWork09 and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Update on problem w/ iWork apps. Tried "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility w/ no luck. Used the diagnostics log from my Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to see what the error messages said. Here's a list:

"Pages" error messages

1. Symbol not found: _SFAAutosaveUserActivityException
2. Library not loaded: @rpath/SFCompatibility.framework/Versions/A/SFCompatibility
3. Symbol not found: _SFUExceptionNSErrorUserInfoKey

1. Symbol not found: _SFUExceptionNSErrorUserInfoKey

1. Symbol not found: _SFXTransform3DIdentity
2. Symbol not found: _SFAAutosaveUserActivityException

FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8

Searched for those above files on the MBPro that all this worked on before the migration of files. Nothing there.
H E L P ! Anybody got an idea?

A brief search on StartPage gave me this:
iWork won't load: Apple Support Communities

This person's problem proved to be corrupt fonts. You can check for this by opening Font Book. Make sure all fonts are selected (when it first opens, they should all be highlighted in blue. If not, select one, then press CMD-A). Then go to the "File" menu option and select "Validate Fonts".

EDIT: As a side note, if you already have corrupt files on a fresh install, my first suspect is a failing hard drive. You should test it. The easiest way is to use a SMART monitoring tool. I recommend DriveDx. It has a free trial and gives a great amount of detail on what your drive's self-reporting mechanism is finding. Run the "Full Self-test" for your drive (found at the bottom sub-menu for your drive).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.