Hard Drive Almost Full

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Ive tried searching some threads to figure out why my hard drive on my macbook pro is close to full. Ive found little things here and there to gain a gig or two. Ive used Onyx to clear caches and general cleaning. I ran disk inventory X. I found two large files that I attached the inventory that I have screenshots of, just couldnt figure out how to add here. One is an 8.5 gig disk image file. The other is a document called sleepimage. I am not sure what either of these are or why they are so big, but I also have 26 gigs of document files. 13.6 of installer packages, 1.7 of pdfs, and 6.8 of preview documents. the rest are 68 files under 100kb, maybe 20 between 100kb and 1mb. the rest are about 50 between 1mb and 400 mb.

I am confused as to where all this space came from. I do not really use my computer for much else. I took about 40 gig of music off onto my hard drive. There is about 40 more gig of music editing software, and then I have adobe cs3. Thats really all I use for my computer. no games or anything, So I am wondering if a virus or something has killed all my space.

Thank you all for the help, and if there is a way to upload those screenshots of disk inventory, let me know.

Screen shot 2013-07-22 at 5.36.27 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-07-22 at 5.35.49 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
click on 'Go Advanced' in the post box
Scroll down to manage attachments

Sleepimage is the file that enables you to put your machine to sleep instead of turning it off and back on - it will typically be between 2-4 GB.
It is deleted each time you shut down and is rebuilt based on what you're currently doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.