2007 MBP Won't Boot Up

Reaction score
I have a 2007 MBP Model - 20MA896LL. Pressing the power spins the hard drive, but snow leopard does Not boot up--the screen remains black. I have attempted to reset the PRAM and the SMC. Both had no effect. My suspicion is that the problem is somewhere on the motherboard.

------
The night before my MBP did not boot up, I ran a full Time Machine backup (excluding the Dwnlds fldr). I shut down normally. The next morning it would not boot up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you run any software updates

I am fixing someones MPP at the mo so am having similar issues troubleshooting a similar Mac. Is it getting to the apple logo then stalling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Very good chance that it is the logicboard also known as the motherboard. The mid 2007 to early 2008 models had problems with the video card. Mine experienced this issue several times and luckily was covered under apple's extended service coverage because of this defect. This is a problem because of nVidia manufacturing and apple decided to cover this to help their customers. It was also not limited to apple products. This extended service coverage has expired, your choices are to take it to apple and have them send it out to depot for repair, this is around $320 (at least the last time I had one sent out), or to invest in a new computer. I personally would invest in a new computer because nothing has changed with this model video card, so it will happen again, you just don't know when. You can also take it to the apple store and they have a test they run that will tell them if it is affected by this defect.

OP
D
Reaction score
Before running Time Machine backup, I ran a software update. The only update that ran was a 347MB security update. No, nothing from the OS boots up--the screen is black. Pressing the power button spins the HD, but nothing else happens. I tried to reset the PRAM and the SMC.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks rustyk123. Motherboard is my guess too. At this point I dont want to spend any money fixing it.....its a 2007 model.

Running Time Machine the night before is definitely related IMO. It took over an hour, and my guess is something on the board heated up to a point of no return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Running Time Machine the night before is definitely related IMO. It took over an hour, and my guess is something on the board heated up to a point of no return.

Exactly what happens on these models. The 4th time it happened to my 2008 the video card got so hot that a capacitor next to it caught fire, good thing was I ran out just for a minitue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.