Word closes when I close a document

Reaction score
I am finding that when I close a document, either one newly created or an existing file, Word closes. I am not using the "close all" icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you certain the whole app closes (i.e. not in menu bar along the top of the screen, no blue indicator below the word icon on the dock)?

OP
S
Reaction score
the whole app does not close. The light remains on beneath the Word icon.

I think I have now realised what the position is, and it is due to my ignorance. Apologies. I note now that the Word menu bar remains. I had not previously spotted this.

Thanks for your help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As a long-time Word user I have made that mistake more times than I care to count. Used to be a bigger problem when computers were slower and it took Word ages to launch.

I figure it is either one of two things:

1. You are otherwise brilliant and don't have time for trivial details such as whether a program is open or closed.
2. Word was built by someone who wants to confuse us now and then.

I don't know about you but I'm going with option one the next time it happens to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.