Bluetooth phones and internet hookup

C

catchawave

I have a new ibook which has built in bluetooth. I have really wanted to go wireless using the bluetooth so today I went shopping around. So now I'm more confused than ever! I got different answers from all three places I went to.
I have verizon right now for my cell phone. I would have to upgrade my phone since it doesn't have bluetooth. The last place I went to (Cingular), they said all i would need is the bluetooth phone and I could do internet and email on my laptop. The costs tho were quite high. I would have to buy the phone (approx. 289.00) then the monthly charges which would come to around 100.00.
So, is this true on the hookup end of things?
somehow they talked me into getting a Blackberry. I don't know how - but I walked out with a Blackberry. I can take it back and get my full money back and I think I will do just that. Just too much money and I won't get any use out of my ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
So you want to use your cell phone as wireless modem over bluetooth?

If you just want to sync your phone with your mac then all you need is a supported bluetooth phone. Check apple site for supported phones.

If you want your cell phone to act as a cellular modem for your mac using the bluetooth connection it won't work. You'd need a USB cable from your phone to the mac to be able to perform this number.

OP
C

catchawave

Yes, I want for the cell phone to act as a modem for my mac so I can surf internet and get email.
They showed me a cable connection (kind of pricey) that goes into a USB port but then one of the salesmen said, "no, you won't need that since you already have bluetooth in your computer." I don't think anyone knew what they were talking about.
Where would be the best place to go to get set up? I have verizon and can't get out of the contract for another year :(
It seems like wherever I go IE: the phone places, they are just as confused as me.
Does the apple site have those USB cables? And would any verizon bluetooth phone work for that?
thanks for the help!

OP
C

catchawave

P.S. I don't know why I have this bug up my butt to work with this bluetooth but it's on the computer and I would really like to get some use out of it. I don't have any other uses for it.
Are there any people out there who just ignore it and not use it at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
MacsWork said:
So you want to use your cell phone as wireless modem over bluetooth?

If you just want to sync your phone with your mac then all you need is a supported bluetooth phone. Check apple site for supported phones.

If you want your cell phone to act as a cellular modem for your mac using the bluetooth connection it won't work. You'd need a USB cable from your phone to the mac to be able to perform this number.
Actually some phones can act as a bluetooth modem... my Sony Ericsson for example lets me dialup with no problems...

But there isn't really much benefit over using a cable and the data rates are usually quite high as well...

Bluetooth is nice for syncing and data transfer though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I was not aware, but I guess you're right. My Motorola v551 is supported for this as well. I'll mess around with it some other day though.

So I retract that statemant cathawave.

Now you know two phones that support what you want. That blackberry most likely does as well.

I use Cingular however.

OP
C

catchawave

I was just reading my user guide that came with the ibook and read on the bluetooth. they say a bluetooth cell phone will work great for internet connection just as fast as dial up 56k ---hmmm, wonder where they got their info or what products their using??LOL

OP
R

robbo007

I have the Blackberry 8707 and have hooked it up to my PC via the usb cable and surfed internet no problemas. The connection reported at 1MB (3G)

I am trying to work out how to do it on my ibook g4? Anyone done it??

ROB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.