Settings on iPad 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Maverick 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Memory
Can someone help me determine what setting I need to change on my iPad 2. I have received a couple of emails with PowerPoint slides in them that cannot be read on my iPad 2 but those same slides can be opened and read on my iPad1 and on my iPhone 5. I have checked and my software is up to date. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What apps do you currently have installed on your iPad 2? You would need something like Keynote, or Office HD on your iPad in order to open, edit, and save Powerpoint files. I use Office HD on my iPad 3 as it can open, edit, and save all MS Office files.

OP
CrimsonTide
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What apps do you currently have installed on your iPad 2? You would need something like Keynote, or Office HD on your iPad in order to open, edit, and save Powerpoint files. I use Office HD on my iPad 3 as it can open, edit, and save all MS Office files.
I don't have any apps like Keynote or Office HD on either of my devices but can read, not edit, office files attached to emails on my iPad 1 and iPhone 5 but not on my iPad 2. I can't figure out why the files are readable on 2 devices but not on the iPad 2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You must have something installed on both your iPad 1 and iPhone that is enabling you to view Powerpoint files.

I found this LINK which shows how you can view Powerpoint files on your iPad 2. One of the methods is as I stated in my previous reply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas. Forgot all about Quick Look for iOS but it doesn't explain why he can't do the same on his iPad 2?

C

chas_m

The most likely explanation I can guess at is that the full presentation hasn't been fully downloaded yet, so can't be opened. That's the case with emails I get with presentations in them ... I have to tap on them to download the whole thing, THEN I can open them.

OP
CrimsonTide
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The most likely explanation I can guess at is that the full presentation hasn't been fully downloaded yet, so can't be opened. That's the case with emails I get with presentations in them ... I have to tap on them to download the whole thing, THEN I can open them.

Unfortunately, the emails are fully downloaded but the files are not viewable on the iPad 2. It has to be a setting that is incorrect or some bug in the iPad 2 since it the same emails and attachments are viewable on the other two devices. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know that it will work, but can't hurt - try a hard reset.

Hold down both the home and power button together until you see the apple logo - takes ~10 sec.

OP
CrimsonTide
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know that it will work, but can't hurt - try a hard reset.

Hold down both the home and power button together until you see the apple logo - takes ~10 sec.

Thanks. That was one of the first things I tried and it did not work.

C

chas_m

I wonder if the problem could be one of file extensions? There are two associated with Powerpoint: PPT (a Powerpoint file) and PPS (a Powerpoint slideshow). Which one are the files you're having trouble with?

Until the mystery is resolved, here's a simple workaround: purchase a copy of GoodReader ($5 IIRC).

OP
CrimsonTide
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas_M, the file extension is ppt. I will get an app as a workaround, but it just baffles me as to why the files work fine on IPad 1 and iPhone 5 but not the iPad 2. I guess I just like to find solutions to mysteries. LOL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before you buy an app to view PPT files, take a look at the Link I posted to you in my first reply. There are several free solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.