• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple developer website Hacked . . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple Developer Website Hacked; Developer Names, Addresses May Have Been Taken

Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then.

WOW . . . .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can safely say that this is the first time that a hacked website has genuinely affected me. I've been trying to log on for a while to add an iPod Touch to my list of development devices and kept being greeted with a "we're working on fixing an issue" page.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There is a lot of Hoo Laaa going on over on the Apple Dev Forums, about people not able to Pay for another year, but what gets me, is its taken them 4 weeks from the reminder email to do it.
I would be in the same boat, but i renewed 2 days after the email, and if it wasn't for that, my renewal ran out today, so I'm right now.
Apple has said that all renewals have been extended and the Apps will stay on the store, BUT the Apps are not downloadable for those that need to renew ?!?!? Some people just astound me lol

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got a email, saying my Twitter account had been compromised and i had to change my password. . . .. Coincidence or what ??

But seriously, what are Apple doing, now running into 5 days offline. People are getting fed up, people wanting to re-new have Apps on the store but know one can download them, meaning they are loosing $ . . .I wonder

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And I just received an email this morning that the Ubuntu forums have been hacked and that I should change my password. Another coincidence? Who's next?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Would this have anything to do with the plethora of "You've requested to reset your password" emails I've been getting from Apple since yesterday? Seems to be a bunch of people on the internet with a similar experience...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | iPhone 13 Pro Max | 45mm Watch | iPad Pro 12.9 | iPad Pro 11

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that music was unnecessarily obnoxious. (Why do people post videos like that?)

Leukeh, it could very well be people trying to get at your password. That said, it may or may not have anything to do with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | iPhone 13 Pro Max | 45mm Watch | iPad Pro 12.9 | iPad Pro 11
yea, I had to mute it for what limited time I viewed it.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Feel your pain Van ;)
My pain was self-inflicted. I need to get screenshots of my app for submission and unfortunately, the only iOS device registered is the iPod Touch running iOS 7 and I'm going to guess that Apple doesn't want people making screenshots with iOS 7.

This is becoming really frustrating. Say what you will about Android and Google but at least I can develop and test applications without having to depend on Google. Right now, I can't test anything because Apple's website is down (and consequently, I can't generate certificates, provisioning files or register UDIDs). Google Play Developer Dashboard goes down? Sure, great, let me know when it comes back and I'll continue testing in the mean time.

This is the first time that the "walled garden" approach (in a rather indirect way) has burned me and it's left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm fairly frustrated right now so I can only imagine how sour that taste is for larger developers. On top of this, it has become really clear that Apple still doesn't know how to secure network resources (see here for more). There is no reason that a major technology company like this should be down this long for a security breach. Suffice it to say, it's going to be incredibly hard for me to recommend any cloud based services that Apple manages. I suppose the choice now is between submitting your information to a company that will use it for advertising (Google) or submitting it to one that doesn't know what "security" means.

...okay, maybe I'm a little more frustrated about the lack of security than I thought. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I know many developers are wondering if they are doing a ground up rewrite of the Dev Portal. Its just a rumor, but at this point, many are hoping so just because its been down for so long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Reports going around that the Dev Center is back up.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reports going around that the Dev Center is back up.
Said rumours are wrong. ;)

I just checked - I wish it was back up.

EDIT: The system status page says parts of it are up but I can't log in.

EDIT 2: Parts are indeed up! I finally managed to add my other iOS device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.