My iPod//iPhone doesn't show up on iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2007 Max OS X 10.4.11
This problem has been happening for almost two years now but it wasn't always a problem. Whenever I plug in my iPod or iPhone into the USB port using the chord both products came with, the device goes into charging mode, but the device does not show up in the menu in iTunes. I'm almost sure it's not a problem with the actual USB port because flash drives still work properly and so does the charging of my devices.

So my question is this:
What is the diagnosis of this problem I'm been having?
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem my own?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the reason is you're using a very old version of iTunes along with a very old version of OS X......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I think the reason is you're using a very old version of iTunes along with a very old version of OS X......

This can't be, it would still find the device and say you need to update, but when you go to update you will not see any.

I would guess it is a problem with the cord, there is 4 wires in the cable 2 for power and 2 for data. I believe 1 or both of the data wires is bad. It will still charge without these working, some cheap iPhone chargers have cables with only the power wires to reduce the cost. It does not seem like the port because a flash drive will work in the same port. Do you have another cable to try? If not, do you know someone you could barrow from?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.