Looking for stock iPhone Photo app alternatives

Reaction score
I still cannot believe that you are still unable to search for a photo in Apple's stock Photo app in iOS 6! What where they thinking! (Or not thinking). Also, the photo organization (Or lack thereof) is horrendous. Just a bunch of photos slapped together. There's no concept of hierarchical organization -- Just a bunch of directory names thrown together.

Anyway, I have all of my photos organized on my iMac by year and event, something like:

├── Dads_Birthday
├── Christmas
├── Fathers_Day
├── Memorial_Day
├── Miscellaneous
├── Mothers_Day
└── Valentines_Day

Is there an iPhone photo app which will allow me to maintain my directory hierarchy, and also provide the sorely need search capability that the stock Photo app lacks?

-Thanks

OP
Z
Reaction score
I just read somewhere that Apple's iOS iPhoto app does NOT have a search feature! Does Apple do some stupid **** or what! *** where they thinking to omit a search function? Most people store thousands of photos on their mobile devices, of course they're going to need search capability!

Apple worries me sometimes, they really do with their myopic mentality.

C

chas_m

1. In point of fact, most people DON'T keep "thousands" of photos on their mobile device. A few hundred at best, because they have to keep room available for music, for movies/videos, for apps and so forth.

2. iPhoto for iOS uses the Photos library and Camera Roll. When I open iPhoto on my iPad, my events and albums (synced from my Mac using iPhoto) are there, which of course makes it a snap to locate the particular photo I want. Maybe you're not using the "albums" and "events" buttons in iPhoto for iOS for some reason?

3. Re-reading your post I'm getting the feeling that you have decided to micro-manage your own folders and images in the Finder rather than using iPhoto to do this. Ironically, iPhoto stores them exactly the way you do, so you're very likely doing a lot of extra work for nothing, making what you want to accomplish unnecessarily complicated.

You might consider this: on a hard drive with plenty of room, create a new iPhoto library (ask me if you don't know how to do this or can't find it via a search) and just drag photos from your folders completely willy-nilly into iPhoto. You'll find that they will organize themselves by their time stamps into events, and you can create albums that contain pictures from multiple events (and combine or split events as you like).

Now try syncing this experimental library to your iPad instead of the manual one you've created, and I think you'll see that your albums and events will show up in iPhoto for iOS exactly as you and iPhoto have organized it. Given that you've already narrowed photos down a great deal on your own, this should enable you to quickly and visually spot the photo you want to alter/share/print/etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not a photo app per se, but File Browser will let you do what you want.

OP
Z
Reaction score
1. In point of fact, most people DON'T keep "thousands" of photos on their mobile device. A few hundred at best, because they have to keep room available for music, for movies/videos, for apps and so forth.

I know several parents with young children, including myself, that do in fact have large numbers of photos and videos on their iPhones.

2. iPhoto for iOS uses the Photos library and Camera Roll. When I open iPhoto on my iPad, my events and albums (synced from my Mac using iPhoto) are there, which of course makes it a snap to locate the particular photo I want. Maybe you're not using the "albums" and "events" buttons in iPhoto for iOS for some reason?

Now that's intriguing -- I maintain an iPhoto reference library with a directory structure to what I outlined in my initial post, i.e., year, then event. So you're saying the my current iPhoto configuration would be transferred to the iPhoto on the iPad? What about the iPhone?

3. Re-reading your post I'm getting the feeling that you have decided to micro-manage your own folders and images in the Finder rather than using iPhoto to do this. Ironically, iPhoto stores them exactly the way you do, so you're very likely doing a lot of extra work for nothing, making what you want to accomplish unnecessarily complicated.

I don't do a lot of extra work for nothing -- MANY people I've conversed with despise the way iPhoto organizes photos by "event". As I mentioned, I use iPhoto in a reference capacity, and in iPhoto, I have pretty much the same directory structure as my photos on disk. I just create a folder in iPhoto for the year, then drag and drop folders from my iMac into the appropriate year, and an album is created automatically with the iMac's folder name. Simple, and well organized.

You might consider this: on a hard drive with plenty of room, create a new iPhoto library (ask me if you don't know how to do this or can't find it via a search) and just drag photos from your folders completely willy-nilly into iPhoto. You'll find that they will organize themselves by their time stamps into events, and you can create albums that contain pictures from multiple events (and combine or split events as you like).

Now try syncing this experimental library to your iPad instead of the manual one you've created, and I think you'll see that your albums and events will show up in iPhoto for iOS exactly as you and iPhoto have organized it. Given that you've already narrowed photos down a great deal on your own, this should enable you to quickly and visually spot the photo you want to alter/share/print/etc.

I already do what you've suggested, but I use iPhoto as a reference library, and I first create a "folder" in iPhoto, then drag the entire photo from Finder to iPhoto and the appropriate year which creates something like:

|-- Someone's birthday
|-- Father's Day
|-- Family Picnic

|-- Someone elses birthday
|-- Father's Day
|-- Family Picnic

Are you saying that iPhoto for iPhone/iPad would import this same folder/album structure into my mobile device? That would be fantastic! I could live without a search function if that were the case.

-Thanks

OP
Z
Reaction score

This is nonsense. I just wasted $4.99 on iPhoto. Oh yes, all of my albums and events are there -- All on the same page! This resulted in 9 Christmas albums in a row. 9 Birthday albums all in a row, etc. All of the albums are thrown together on one page, alphabetized. It looks nothing like my iPhoto on my iMac!

And with no way to search for a photo, it's one jumbled mess of albums. Why can't Apple get things like this right? How may people have to complain about their obtuse methodology for being able to store photos in a manner similar to a directory structure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Their methodology doesn't match yours that's as much as can be said. There's no right or wrong.
I keep all my photos in Picasa on my Mac in a similar way to you. But I have no desire to have them like that on my iPad or iPhone but that doesn't make my preference, your preference or Apples any less valid.

The way you want to see and access photos is a tree structure like a file directory. Hence the app I recommended above. There are many others of a similar ilk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.