NumLock & Navigation Keys Fix For Macs When Using Microsoft 4000 or 7000 Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac running Mountain Lion, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I recently bought a Microsoft 7000 ergonomic keyboard for my iMac running Mountain Lion (OS 10.8). Why? Because the standard Mac keyboard is too small for my hands. Anyway, the MS 7000 keyboard is wireless (the 4000 model is the same, just wired). The 7000 works great with my iMac except the number pad on the right side of the keyboard is as though "Num Lock" is always on, thereby not allowing me to use the arrow navigation keys where the "4", "6", "8", and "2" keys are (i.e., arrow navigation keys being left, right, up, and down arrows, resp).

I called both Microsoft tech support and Apple Care and neither could offer a solution. Then I came across this free download utility program called KeyRemap4MacBook (works for any Mac computer):
https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

It works like a charm. You can customize your Mac keyboard or any third party keyboard (such as the Microsoft 4000 or 7000) down to the smallest detail i.e., mapping any functionality to any keyboard key. The developer only asks for a donation if you find his software useful. I donated $10.00.

Below is a screen shot showing exactly what options you'll need to check in order to switch/alternate the number keypad (again, the number keypad on the right side of the keyboard) from numbers to navigation buttons (via toggling the NumLock key, of course)... in other words to get the NumLock key to work like its supposed to work (i.e., again.... toggle between numbers and navigation arrows).

NOTE: In the screen shot below, the developer of this software uses the name "Clear Key" (actually though, he means "Num Lock" key). Why he calls the "Num Lock" key "Clear Key" ... I have no idea. It's a minor detail that I thought I'd mention to avoid confusion.

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 4.50.53 PM.png

microsoft-natural-wireless-ergonomic-keyboard-7000-ces-800.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.