Need to erase hard drive, screen cracked, no firewire

OP
D
Reaction score
You've been given a number of viable solutions:)...but all I keep hearing is how those solutions are not doable for one reason or another!:(

- Nick

Hi Nick!

Yes they are all very viable options and all are very much appreciated.

Sadly my current situation doesn't allow for me to follow any of them. That may sound like a cop-out or whatever but trust me, the situation doesn't allow for it. :'(

I do know there's no sensitive data on it, the "worst" thing is some iTunes music but I believe the computer has been deauthorized for that.

So I'll have to make a decision on that one.

But as I've said several times I do truly appreciate all of the support and suggestions that I've received in this thread. :D And if things were different here I could utilize one or more of them.

When I originally came on here I really thought it was doable using only the MacBook itself (even though the screen is broken) and that I just needed someone to show me how.

But alas I was wrong...
-----

I maybe should start a new thread on this next question so please let me know if I should...

Regarding the other MacBook that I can see the screen on, is there a way to wipe it completely clean without wiping the operating system?

I don't have install CD's so I wouldn't be able to re-install it if I do have to wipe it clean.

It also recently occurred to me that I don't have the chargers for them (they're the older style magnetic ones and all I can find are the older style plug-in ones).

Without a charger whoever purchases them would have to purchase them for parts or purchase them with the plans to purchase a charger.

That will significantly lower the amount I was hoping to get for them (I wasn't hoping for much but at least a little)...

But anyhow, is there a way to wipe clean the one I can see without wiping out the OS? If I have to wipe out the OS so be it but if I don't have to that would be cool. :D

Thank you again so much to all of you. :D
Diane

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's the only way I can think of at the moment though someone else may have a better idea.

1.. Log into your current user account (I assume it is an administrator account)
2. Copy any files you need from your existing user account to another location or another drive.
3. Create a new User account (make sure it is an administrator account)
4. Log out of your current account and into the account you just created.
5. Go to the Accounts Preference pane and delete the old user account.

I think you will be asked whether you want to save the contents of the user folder or delete
them. Choose to delete them. You may even be asked to securely delete them. If so, choose that option.

OP
D
Reaction score
Here's the only way I can think of at the moment though someone else may have a better idea.

1.. Log into your current user account (I assume it is an administrator account)
2. Copy any files you need from your existing user account to another location or another drive.
3. Create a new User account (make sure it is an administrator account)
4. Log out of your current account and into the account you just created.
5. Go to the Accounts Preference pane and delete the old user account.

I think you will be asked whether you want to save the contents of the user folder or delete
them. Choose to delete them. You may even be asked to securely delete them. If so, choose that option.

Yay, thank you Slydude!! :) I know there aren't any files that I need to copy so I can make the new account, delete the old account, and then all is good. :)

Thank you again so much! Have a great night (or morning now...)!
Diane

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.