Share Wifi Connection over 56K Modem - PBG4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21" iMac - 4GB RAM - Intel Sandy Bridge i5
Alright, so I'm trying to use my PowerBook G4 to share my Wifi connection on the built-in modem. Since it doesn't appear under the internet sharing settings, I guess I'll need some kind of 3rd party software to do it. What I'm trying to do is get my Macintosh SE to connect to the internet (via VersaTerm) since it came with a modem and I can't transfer files otherwise.

The Mac SE is running System 6.0.5 and the PBG4 is running OS X 10.5.8.

I tried using the same method as a Dreamcast-Mac server using a terminal app called cu and got a dial tone, but it said "NO CARRIER" and wouldn't connect.

My DSL provider provides free dial-up with the service, but there's nowhere that I can connect the SE to a real phone line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My Mac knowledge begins with the Mac Mini, so I don't have any real useful knowledge to help..but I had to just say that it's been over 20 years since I had to use a modem to dial up for Internet..

If you have DSL access available, why don't you plug a WiFi router into that and connect the two Macs (assuming they both can do WiFi to begin with) there??

OP
jebug29
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Macintosh SE is from the late eighties. It can't do wifi and the only thing that I have for it is some old modem that the seller included on eBay. The PBG4 is on my wifi connection; I want to share its connection with the SE. I'd have to have some kind of software that basically emulates a phone line using my wifi connection.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry Razor. Good idea but the prospect of that working are about as good as those of Tim Cook delivering a new Mac Pro to my front door personally. That machine last shipped in the early 1990s so the odds are long on a wireless dongle with appropriate drivers Macintosh SE/30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I set up something similar for file transfer a long time ago with somewhat newer gear but it was a real pain. I did find this overview of some of the issues but it is kinda information overload. Much of what's written is with file transfer in mind.

Be aware too that even if you got this working that machine is severely limited in terms of what internet software it can run. Most current sites will not work with that software no matter what you do.

OP
jebug29
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a terminal emulator. I mainly just expect to be able to access a BBS or something with it (hopefully something with file transfer capabilities).

I appreciate your comment. It looks like the best I'd be able to do is just go on eBay and find an old ethernet adapter. Google isn't helping me with this period (it's showing results from how create a wifi network from a wired internet connection).

There's another way, but I'm no hardware guy so it's not really for me. There's this guy who made an SD card adapter for classic macs. It's at bigmessowires.com. It'd be really cool if I could get in touch with the tech guy I know (he's better at hardware and such than me) to build it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.