Battery needs serviced

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 [email protected] 750GB HDD
My battery/power level indicator is telling me to service my battery. It is in a White Macbook-7,1. I plan on keeping this thing till it falls apart in my lap so I am not averse to replacing the battery. Does this mean the battery is bad/needs replaced or might there be some other issue?

Model Information:
Serial Number: W0050TE8UE1LA
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0165
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4232
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4329
Health Information:
Cycle count: 288
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 437
Voltage (mV): 12534

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 [email protected] 750GB HDD
According to the nut:
Current Charge-4329 mAh
Max Charge-4329 mAh

Current Capacity-4329 mAh
Design Capacity 5770 mAh

Macbook 7,1
30 Month old Mac
288 Load Cycles
Battery Temp-30.5C
Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Macbook 7,1
30 Month old Mac
288 Load Cycles
Battery Temp-30.5C
Battery Power Usage-2.9Watts

Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Max. cycle count on these batteries is 300 cycles. Anything beyond this is "bonus round"...where total runtime on a full charge will start to get less & less (compared to what was claimed by Apple when the computer/battery was brand new).

I think that this "Service Battery" message may come up automatically when the battery gets to a certain cycle count...or the total possible mAh value (when fully charged) dips below a pre-defined threshold.

Long story short. As long as you're getting acceptable total runtimes on a single full battery charge (for your needs)...you can just keep on using the computer.

For example...I have an old white MacBook that has a battery that has 600+ charge cycles. I still get 1.0-1.5 hours of total runtime from a fully charged battery...and that works just fine for me...since I use the computer plugged in most of the time.

- Nick

This is all true, but there is also cases of false trigger, I believe it is a bug in snow leopard and lion (have not seen it in mountain lion yet). My 2007 macbook did this with 30 cycles or so and my 2008 MBP at 100 cycles of so both after installing snow leopard. These batteries are smart batteries and will record data of the usage and faults, the service battery could just be triggered from the common false reading. If it is false, it will probably go away in a few days, but it will come and go every once in a while.

But as was already said this message is no problem, the Replace soon and Replace Now message I have never seen falsely triggered and you should consider replacing at that time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.