Network printing problems

Reaction score
I have recently purchased an imac for my photography only. I have OS 10.8 & have purchased Aperture & using it ok. I have managed to network my printer & also connect the imac to NAS storage. All good or so you would think. Pics look great on screen issue comes when I come to print them, faint black lines occur every 3/4 of inch across page, ok when I do a test print with text. Prints fine from window laptop also connected to network. Apple says no drivers to download. Currently regretting trying to switch, any help appreciated as despite hours researching on web nothing is helping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You dont say what printer it is, and I assume you are printing direct from Aperture.

Try saving out as a PDF or JPEG and printing from the Preview app and tell us if that makes a difference

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. The printer is an Epson sx515w (I knew I would forget 1 vital piece of information), the choice for both windows & imas is sx510 series. I am printing from aperture file > print & then using the various print options on that preview screen inc picture sizing. Printing jpeg pics not even attempted printing RAW yet. Will attempt as PDF (if I can work out how).

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok have printed via preview, both jpeg & PDF and both still have the fine lines across photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Ok have printed via preview, both jpeg & PDF and both still have the fine lines across photo.

Symptoms suggest you need to clean the print head via your Epson's utilities.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you, I have done that a number of times, it doesn't seem to make a difference. What's more I don't get the lines when I print the same pic from windows. Obviously a conflict between imac & printer somewhere. Big fruit is going to be sold on at this rate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try downloading a newer driver for your printer? I found one here: LINK

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If possible, try to connect the Mac directly to the printer and see if you get the same lines. This strilkes me as a general printer driver issue. Not one specific to network printing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Chscag & Slydude. Thank you both. I too think it is a driver issue, but was being told by the machine that my drivers are up to date. I will try the drivers that Chscag found (thank you I have been crawling all over the web for the last couple of weeks & havnt found these). Could you advise, do I need to uninstall the printer, download drivers & then re install printer or can I just download & apply. Also if the download sits in the 'download app' or tray how do I apply them or is this automatically applied? Thank you once again for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Many printers still come with pre Mountain Lion drivers and software, Epson is a classic for this. So yes I fully agree re software issue.
Could you advise, do I need to uninstall the printer, download drivers & then re install printer

Personally I would always uninstall then reboot and reinstall no matter what software.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain, but this forum is my only hope. The drivers mentioned above are already sat in the 'Downloads' area on the mac - do I need to apply or install in some way, if so how - I cannot see a way of ensuring that the drivers are applied so that they are recognised when I print. Also, once they are 'applied' do I need to keep them in the download area or can they be deleted? Thank you in advance.

OP
T
Reaction score
Please ignore the last request, I have worked out how to unpack & install the drivers *crosses fingers* the next stage is to reinstall the printer & do a test photo print - if it doesn't work you may hear me screaming.

OP
T
Reaction score
Can you hear me screaming? Drivers unpacked & installed, printer reinstalled, system re booted, test print done. Lines still present!! About to give up & just print from my windows laptop! This is so frustrating, anyone have any further suggestions? Any help greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.