MBAir to Cintiq Monitor: problems with MBA

Reaction score
Recently bought a 21 UX cintiq monitor and was very excited to get crackin' at it. Unforunately I'm still waiting for one more adapter in the mail to use with my imac, but I currently have all the parts to use it with my mac air. Said MBA was given to me by a friend, and it runs fairly poorly. Set up the monitors and they were working correctly, went to switch the cintiq to my primary monitor, and the MBA screen went blue. As did the cintiq monitor. I powered down the MBA and unplugged it from the cintiq.

MBA seems to need some kind of hard drive repair or heavy reinstallation, as it takes roughly 30-45 minutes to start up. Once running it seems to run fine, except it freezes for quite some time when i right click. Any suggestions appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like a dead/soon to die hard drive.

I'd try a Verify/Repair of the drive - how depends on the OS installed on the machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sounds like a dead/soon to die hard drive.

I'd try a Verify/Repair of the drive - how depends on the OS installed on the machine.

haha love your icon btw, got to read it in my head in a foghorn leghorn voice. "I say, I say son this hard drive here.." I assumed the same, ran repair disk (not verify), there were lots of permissions it disagreed with but no errors that were seriously out of whack. (just lots of them) It promptly froze after disk repair, but restarted and seemed to be working the best the best it had until I attempted to switch primary monitors.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One of my favs - along with Beaky Buzzard.

Sounds like you did a repair permissions - there is also a Verify/Repair drive in Disk Utility - it can't be run while booted up into the OS.

Need to either boot from the original OS disk - am "assuming" this is an '08-'09 MBA that still had hard drives in them - I forget, but I think they shipped with a USB key with the OS on it.

Or if the machine has been updated to 10.7 or 10.8, you can reboot holding down the command and R keys - select Disk Utility after it boots up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.