.dmg files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Hello

I downloaded Mac the Ripper. Now on my desktop I have three new files. One looks like a little white external HD with the DVD Knife icon on it and says "MacThe Ripper". The other two are mactheripper266.dmg and mactheripper266.dmg.bz2.

I'm not sure what these files mean, or where I can put them. Everytime I load MTR the white HD looking one pops back to my desktop.

Thanks again for helping out a newbie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can delete the .dmg files once you insall the software (dragging it to your applications folder)

.dmg files are just disk image files

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
What do I drag to my applications folder, the white external HD looking icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No the MacTheRipper program file inside the White HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no what is inside of that icon..
double click the icon. there is going to be a application in side.. if it says "install" then you have to double click it and it will install the software then you can delete the .dmg files, if it does not say install drag the application file into the applications folder, you will not need the read me unless you absolutely want it.. If you want the read-me then create a folder in the applications folder for the program you are installing so that you dont end up with alot of read-me files in your applications folder..

T

topshot

Basically it works like this:
1) You downloaded a program from the internet that was compressed - .gz file
2) Safari uncompressed this file which contained a disk image file - .dmg file
3) When the disk image file is mounted, it shows up as a mounted disk drive - the external HDD icon with the knife through it.

What you did wrong was to load the program directly from the disk image, hence when ever you try to load the application, it mounts the disk image file.

Here is what you need to do:
1) you can get rid of the .gz file - just drag it to the trash
2) mount the disk image and open it. Inside is the mactheripper application. Drag this application to your applications folder or to your own home folder.
3) then, drag the White HDD icon with the words mactheripper to the trash. You will notice that the trash icon changes to an eject symbol.
4) Then drag the .DMG file to the trash.
5) If you have created a shortcut to mac the ripper on the Dock, drag it out to remove as it will be pointing to the disk image version. You need to create a new link to the one you copied to the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.