Log off to another user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I guess I should have checked but I assumed that, unlike an iPhone, you could switch users with an iPad just as you can with an iMac.

My wife and I have separate iMacs and it would be useful to sync to separate users of the mini iPad. Any suggestions as to how to do this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
None of the iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad Mini or iPad) support multiple users apart from using different Apple ID's to have different apps/music/content on the devices..

This is made worse when you start sync'ing these devices with multiple computers/libraries..

So while you have multiple computers, with a single iPad Mini you would have to sync with one computer only and that means shared content..

You cannot sync multiple Apple ID's to a single device and thus have different content based on who is logged in and all that..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
None of the iOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad Mini or iPad) support multiple users apart from using different Apple ID's to have different apps/music/content on the devices..

This is made worse when you start sync'ing these devices with multiple computers/libraries..

So while you have multiple computers, with a single iPad Mini you would have to sync with one computer only and that means shared content..

You cannot sync multiple Apple ID's to a single device and thus have different content based on who is logged in and all that..

So does that mean that, if I wanted to use different Apple IDs the only way to do that would be to reset all the settings on the iPad thereby erasing all its contents?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Things get really messy when you try to switch Apple IDs since the content (even if it's free) is tied to a particular ID..

So while just resetting the settings on the iPad Mini will not remove any content, the next sync will cause issues since you have to link it to some library that is tied to a particular Apple ID..

The scheme that works the best is..single Apple ID, on a particular computer, connected/syncing with a particular iOS device..

That path works great..change any of it and it's just annoyance central...:)

C

chas_m

I like Apple's solution: buy a second iPad! :)

(but seriously you can use one Apple ID for buying things from the stores, and a separate Apple ID to keep syncing/mail/calendar/contacts separate if you want.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.