Storage Problem

Reaction score
I have a storage problem. I have a 250GB hard drive on my Macbook Pro, with 230GB of it used up. When I went to system information to see where it was all at I found I only have 12GB of audio, 49GB of movies, 26GB of photos, and 8GB of apps. Then I've got this huge 134GB miscellaneous section of which I have no idea what is taking up that much room. There is no way I have that many files on there. What could be taking that much space and how do I get rid of it? I've tried deleting all old files and other random stuff I could find. My computer is starting to run very slowly, I assume as a result of this storage issue.

I tried running ONYX to clean it up a bit, but no luck. Still have the same issue after running it. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi John . . . somebody will pipe up soon and be of better assistance than I. I do know there is an app available that will tell you the contents of your huge 134GB misc. section on your hdd. I do not recall the name right off the top of my head. You may be able to find it yourself using the SEARCH function of the forum. But like I said, someone will come to the rescue and be of more help and maybe know the app's name. Welcome to the forum.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Disk Inventory X is one of those apps that Dogbreath is trying to remember..:)

Run this application and once finished, look at the largest color blocks that will indicate what is taking up the space and where it's located..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you do need a larger hard drive. 250GFB is negligible these days alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.