Macbook pro overheating

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro has recently started to unusually overheat.

I normally play League of legends without lag, and have have a stable fps of 60. Recently, after 13 minutes of playing, the area above the keyboard starts getting very hot and my fps drops to about 10-20. Even when browsing just using youtube etc, it gets becomes warm, whereas before it wouldn't. Furthermore, I can sometimes hear a click every 10 seconds coming from inside my MBP.

My friend advised that it's because I game whilst leaving the charger in (even though its 100%) and that I should replace the battery. I'm not sure whether it's the fan or battery which is causing this. Any input or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How old is that MBP and what is the ambient temperature in your room

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
make sure the macbook is raised above the desk a bit (by putting a book underneath, to keep the rear fans clear of any obstruction

You could also consider a cooling pad in this weather, or like my struggling router, place it on top of a freezer box, like the ones you use in cool boxes for a picnic

OP
I
Reaction score
make sure the macbook is raised above the desk a bit (by putting a book underneath, to keep the rear fans clear of any obstruction

You could also consider a cooling pad in this weather, or like my struggling router, place it on top of a freezer box, like the ones you use in cool boxes for a picnic

ok, thanks! by the way. Is this normal? i'm running 5 tabs on safari, skype on idle, and VLC on pause. and i'm on 74 C

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can expect that area of your MBP to heat up whilst doing any sort of work that will begin stressing either the CPU or the video card - totally normal.

If you're machine is actually "overheating" the MBP is going to shut itself off. Not shutting itself off - it is within tolerances and is not "overheating".

It has nothing to do with and is not because you're leaving it plugged in while playing and highly unlikely the battery needs to be replaced in a 1 yr old MBP.

You can download Coconut Battery to take a look at your battery health and post a screenshot of it's results if you would like.

On what surface is the MBP sitting? Hard surface like a table? Or your lap, bed, carpet or other surface where you could be blocking the air flow along the back side of it?

A clicking sound is troublesome - Fan or hard drive?
You could download something like iStatPro to check your fan speeds.

(some of this may be a repeat of above - takes me a while to post at work)
(have seen my 6+ yr old MBP sit at over 90-95C for hours at a time while playing WoW)

OP
I
Reaction score
You can expect that area of your MBP to heat up whilst doing any sort of work that will begin stressing either the CPU or the video card - totally normal.

If you're machine is actually "overheating" the MBP is going to shut itself off. Not shutting itself off - it is within tolerances and is not "overheating".

It has nothing to do with and is not because you're leaving it plugged in while playing and highly unlikely the battery needs to be replaced in a 1 yr old MBP.

You can download Coconut Battery to take a look at your battery health and post a screenshot of it's results if you would like.

On what surface is the MBP sitting? Hard surface like a table? Or your lap, bed, carpet or other surface where you could be blocking the air flow along the back side of it?

A clicking sound is troublesome - Fan or hard drive?
You could download something like iStatPro to check your fan speeds.

(some of this may be a repeat of above - takes me a while to post at work)
(have seen my 6+ yr old MBP sit at over 90-95C for hours at a time while playing WoW)

okay, thanks i've downloaded them! I don't think it's telling me my fan speeds :/ sometimes it says Exhaust:000rpm. Also, it's on a table. but i've now put a book under it. I just went into a game, with lowest settings and it started reaching 104C :/

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 12.07.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 12.07.21 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Download SMC Fan Control - link - it should also give you an indicator of actual fan speed.

If the fan is indeed at zero - it's time to shut the machine down and call/take it to Apple while you're under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.