Constant Kernal Panic

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, my apologies if it's wrong, and you're more than welcome to move it, however, let's see if you guys can help me, eh? :D

Friend gave me an iMac. Booted up the first time I got it home just fine, running Leopard. I read up on how to restore Mac to factory, and try it. Shut down, start up while holding Command R. After a couple minutes, it gives me this error:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with this image.
I did some searching on the internet, on these forums, and tried everything I read. Or, at least tried to. Did the S on startup to try and type /friskydingo/ -f after all the text loads, but once the text got to "System uptime in seconds", it didn't continue. Just sat there, until I turn off the computer.

Any suggestions out there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't restore the iMac that way. In order to completely restore the machine so that you can start fresh, you will need either the original Leopard install disk set (2 disks) that came with the machine or a retail Leopard disk. Leopard retail disks are expensive and can only be obtained by searching for them on eBay or Craig's list.

You can however, purchase a Snow Leopard retail disk from Apple for $19.99 and restore the machine that way. However, you will lose the iLife applications as they are not included with the Snow Leopard retail $19.99 disk.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'd rather not actually spend money on this computer if I can help it! Even if that means keeping everything on the hard drive. Or, am I pretty much stuck until I buy a CD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I don't consider $19.99 as spending a lot of money for a computer that you got for free. And if you want to restore it with a fresh install of OS X, that's the least expensive way you're going to do it.

You really didn't tell us what year the iMac is and the model. It has to be an Intel iMac in order to install Snow Leopard otherwise you'll need to dig up a copy of Leopard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm saying the wrong things, now. I'm trying to just start the computer normally, now, since I guess restoring it like that doesn't work. But I can't start it because of the kernal panic. Would getting the CD solve that?

I also have a CD from a Mac Mini I got a while ago from the same friend, and it has a Mac OS X Install disc that apparently doubles as a Apple Hardware Test. I tried booting from that, but didn't get anywhere, same panic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post a screen shot or picture of the complete kernel panic message? Perhaps we can spot something there that may give us a clue.

However: Kernel panics are usually caused by a problem with the hardware although they can be caused by wayward software. Try starting the iMac in safe mode to see if you can get it to the desktop. To startup in safe mode, hold down the shift key as soon as you hear the POST sound (bong). It may take awhile to boot that way.

Startup with the CD may or may not help depending on what is causing the machine to go into panic. Also, the installation disk from the Mini is not going to work. Mac install and startup disks are model specific. Only the retail version of the disk will work on more than one model.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not a screenshot, but I can take a pic. It's the same message in my original post. I also cannot boot in safe mode, it gives the same panic message.

Zezg02M.jpg

0M72kjH.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's immediately going into kernel panic, about the only thing you can try at this point in time is to obtain a boot disk and boot the iMac with it. Then try erasing the hard drive and reinstalling OS X. Obtaining a Leopard retail disk will be expensive so it's best to order a Snow Leopard retail disk from Apple for $19.99 and use it to erase and reinstall.

However like I said above, it has to be an Intel iMac or Snow Leopard will not install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag advised you de need to invest in the Snow Leopard DVD for $19.99 from Apple. Grey discs from other models will not work either. If you can get it up and running, with a hard drive if need be, it will be a very cheap unit.

OP
A
Reaction score
Can't seem to find Snow Leopard on Apples website, so I went ahead and purchased it from Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You find it on Apple Online. Unusual to see that on Amazon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing you can try. The iMac has the Memory door at the bottom of the unit. You usually remove one screw and the small door comes off. Is this iMac White plastic or Silver Metal? Anyway eject the RAM Dimms and reseat them. Then try and boot.

Your issue since it happens so soon sounds like hardware and that is an easy thing with the RAM to check. I have seen poorly seated RAM do just that or slightly dirty Ram slots. It can not hurt to try it. Be sure the power is off and power unplugged before you try that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'Twas Apple Online - not the Apple Store.

Still only ten bucks differeence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait until you get your hands on the OS X.6 disc. See if you can boot from it, leave Installer and go into Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. That will advise if hard drive has failed. Replacing the hard drive in an iMac is a difficult task. If no joy booting may well be a lemon.

OP
A
Reaction score
I've already opened it up and removed the screen, so I have access to the hard drive. No biggie with that. Just waitin' for the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.