Headphone/Mic Combo Jack Bootcamp Compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a rMBP 15" mid 2012 (which, if you're familiar with the system, has a combo jack that supports the Apple Earpods microphone and headphones simultaniously). I noticed when configuring my Skype settings that the only microphone device (even with headphones plugged in) is the internal microphone. I even tested to see if it was the internal microphone or the earpod by brushing both mics with my finger and paying attention to the sound indicator.

Anyway, I haven't found a way to get the combo jack working with the mic (headphones work just fine), or even confirmation from windows that another microphone other than the internet one even exists. I know a lot of newer windows notebooks feature a similar combo jack that is compatible with Android and iPhone headphones + mic (yes they're the same, I use Earpods with my phone although the quality isn't as good as my iPad), so I can't see why Windows 7 wouldn't be able to support this feature as many PCs have similar hardware that serves the same purpose.

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this, or will I have to resort to giving up one of my 2 spectacular USB 3.0 ports to plug in a USB headset with mic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have the bootcamp drivers installed you can use Apple earpod/buds (with mic) from an iPhone etc.

I had to do this for Skype for a while when my USB headset died. Worked fine.

It's been a while since I've done it but I'm running latest bootcamp, Windows 7 Ultimate. I can do an up to date test this evening and see what Windows throws up in the sounds properties.

OP
khcrazy10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
If I'm right, I should be running the latest boot camp as well. I'm currently on Boot Camp 5 and apple update under windows hasn't given me any updates thus far.

Still trying to get it to work. I've tried re-installing the cirrus audio drivers, updating the drivers directly from cirrus, rotating the headphone to see if something pops up, and starting up the computer with the headphones plugged in.

If I can't, I might consider getting one of those adapter to convert smartphone headphones to PC line in and line out since right now the apple headphones are my best headset. I have Griffin iMic that I've been using now and then for line in support anyways, but I still lose a usb port if I do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.