Wireless Emergency Alerts on iPhone?

Reaction score
So within the last year, the US government enacted some sort of law that required most cellular carriers to alert its customer base to AMBER alerts, weather alerts and Presidential alerts. So, in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, 4S and 5, there should be two toggles at the bottom of the Notification Center settings. The strange thing is, nobody I know who owns an iPhone (4, 4S, 5 on any of the major carriers) has these settings or has ever got an alert - in the Albuquerque area. I don't even have the toggles.

So what gives? We've had an AMBER alert or two since this started rolling out, and this summer, a couple Flash Flood Warning alerts from the weather office.

Does anyone have information on WEA?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
So within the last year, the US government enacted some sort of law that required most cellular carriers to alert its customer base to AMBER alerts, weather alerts and Presidential alerts. So, in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, 4S and 5, there should be two toggles at the bottom of the Notification Center settings. The strange thing is, nobody I know who owns an iPhone (4, 4S, 5 on any of the major carriers) has these settings or has ever got an alert - in the Albuquerque area. I don't even have the toggles.

So what gives? We've had an AMBER alert or two since this started rolling out, and this summer, a couple Flash Flood Warning alerts from the weather office.

Does anyone have information on WEA?

Your post has me a bit puzzled. I read about this at the beginning of the summer from a post on the forum. It rolled out in our area about mid June. I remember checking Notifications and it was there at the time but I don't see it now. Nor do I remember seeing any weather warnings though I think a few have been issued and I've gotten them through the Weather Channel app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Your post has me a bit puzzled. I read about this at the beginning of the summer from a post on the forum. It rolled out in our area about mid June. I remember checking Notifications and it was there at the time but I don't see it now. Nor do I remember seeing any weather warnings though I think a few have been issued and I've gotten them through the Weather Channel app.

Same experience here. I had the alerts enabled on my Iphone4 iOS 6.x here (Minnesota) this summer. On June 21st we had a heck of a storm that dropped a tree on my home, took out the power, etc... About 15 minutes after the tree came through the roof, my iPhone started going nuts with flash flood warnings every 30 minutes or so. Needless to say, I was in no mood to be mocked by my iPhone's late and irrelevant alerts while I was on that same iPhone with my insurance company and power company. I disabled all of thsee alerts in "Notifications". I looked back about a week ago to try and find these settings again... and they appear to be gone.

I thought I might have imagined the whole thing. I feel sane again now. Thank you! ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Same experience here..began getting a bunch of weather related alerts that didn't affect my region, so I went into Notification and disabled them. Later on, when I re-synced the phones I began getting alerts again ,but the option to disable them was gone..not sure what happened..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the option to turn off notifications has been removed that is going to annoy me. I realize the importance of these alerts but don't particularly like the notion of someone else deciding whether I listen to them or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Mine are still there

C

chas_m

Only the Presidential alerts cannot be disabled. The other alerts can be.

The reason for the discrepancy some of you are seeing is that the program isn't fully implemented on all carriers yet, as well as the fact that only iOS 6.1 and higher are supported.

The update that turns on this ability comes in the form of a Carrier Settings update, so some of you may not have accepted that or seen it. The ability to turn off the AMBER and weather notifications is located at the dead bottom of the long list of Notifications preferences in your settings.

AT&T now pushing iPhone update to add Wireless Emergency Alert | Electronista

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that OS version and AT&T. The notices were in notification center but aren't now on my iPhone 4. I only had two gripes about this:

1. Someone else gets to decide that I get that update. I have no say in the matter.
2/ In my case for weather I got more timely alerts from the Weather Channel app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The ability to turn off the AMBER and weather notifications is located at the dead bottom of the long list of Notifications preferences in your settings.

Yep. It was there, but now is gone. At least for me.

C

chas_m

Check with your carrier's engineering department about this. Maybe something has changed, but the weather and AMBER alerts should be optional. You can also try shutting the phone off/resetting, or even restoring to stock iOS 6.x and see if that makes a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.