Which iOS upgrade and XCode/SDK for older MacbookPro MA609LL?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My questions involves both iOS and Xcode so I hope I am posting in the right place as this is my first post.

I am borrowing an old MacbookPro Core 2 Duo/Late 2006 - MA609LL (A1211) and want to write an IPhone App. The Mac has 1GB RAM and I plan to upgrade it to its max which is 3GB. Officially only upgradeable to OS X 10.7 Lion, but I heard that Lion is a bit buggy (untill OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) and I should only upgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard. I did read that some people have had success upgrading it to the current OS).

The OS, I can upgrade to also would define which version of XCode and SDK I could use.

I am looking for advice on what you think would be the best combination of iOS, Xcode and SDK for this Mac. I also heard that some of the older XCode and SDKs might not be available from Apple which would be a problem too.

Also it would be great if the code I could write with the combo would be able to be backwards compatible with older iPhones such as 3GS running 4.1 OS.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice and help! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't know what the version is but get the most recent one possible. The reason for this is simple - by using older ones, you're limiting the number of people you can target.

OP
D
Reaction score
You mean the xCode and OS? You are right, I just am not sure the right combo for this Mac which is the only one I have access too, so what iOS I can upgrade to will limit what XCode and SKD version, I can use..which I hope someone can answer for me. Thanks so much!! :)

C

chas_m

If you're going to write iPhone apps, you need to use a much newer machine. At least 2008 vintage.

You'll also need to register with Apple to get the tools you need. That will cost $99.

Nobody has put Mountain Lion on a machine from 2006. Whoever told you that is smoking the crack.

C

chas_m

I'm not the final authority on this matter, but the only Xcode you can get from Apple is the current one, which requires 10.7.4. So I think you're stuck. Maybe someone is selling an older copy of Xcode on Ebay or something (probably not legal, but I don't know that for sure)? In any event, I don't think a copy of Xcode old enough to run on SL is going to produce output you can get on the iTunes App Store, so again ... dead end.

I'd suggest you study the programming through books and tutorials and such until you can find the funds to get a newer Mac and the iOS developer fee. I want to be a piano player but I can't afford a piano or lessons so I know your situation, but that's the reality of it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can put 4 GB in that MBP - although it will only use 3GB. Putting in a matched pair allows it to continue making use of the dual channel memory. I've had a matched pair of 2 GB x 2 in mine since early '07.

It has also been running Lion since it's introduction. Although, if you haven't already purchased it and have access to it in the App Store, you won't be able to get it now. Have not attempted installing ML on it.

Even though I have two 3GS iPhones in use here, personally, I wouldn't worry about writing code that works on a 3GS since they will now be left behind with iOS 7. Almost all of us still using a 4 yr old phone have already found the apps we want/need and have all but quit purchasing any new apps for them. The wife hasn't put a new app on hers in 2-3 yrs and is still using iOS 4 and I "might" get 1-2 new apps a year while I keep mine updated with most current version of iOS available.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you, bobtomay,

I already upgraded it from Tiger to Leopard and I know the owner has purchased Snow Leopard, but was unable to install it, so I will do that next. I was waiting to do the RAM upgrade first since it needs a minimum of 2GB. I will see if I can still get a copy of Lion.

According to the Xcode wiki it looks like iOS 6.1 will work with OS X Lion (10.7.4) and OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.x) and on the Apple site I just read that " If you're registered as an Apple Developer, you can download previous versions of Xcode." since the new version is OS X Mavericks (10.9), this is good news and it looks like I can be set. :)

The reason I am interested in the 3GS backwards comparability is because that is what I am using (mostly as a MP3 and app player now) while hush hush, I am using an Android for my phone. ;) I probably could upgrade the software but it would be a bit tedious.
Thanks again! Best wishes!

C

chas_m

May your efforts at writing an iPhone app be so successful you can buy yourself an all new set of Apple shiny things! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
RAM is cheap enough - don't try to save an extra $5 by getting some cheap off brand name - it may not work in a Mac. Would recommend buying from OWC or Crucial if you're not familiar with the major name players making Mac compatible RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.