From a PC to an imac, advice please.

Reaction score
Hi all, soon to jump the fence into Apple land. Twenty + years with Windows is enough. I plan on buying a 21” imac, latest version, with all the peripherals.

So my question is, would it be better to wait for the imac with Maverick o/s installed, or buy the Mountain Lion version then do the upgrade later on.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're not expecting the new operating system "Mavericks" to be released until around the Fall. You can certainly wait if you wish, but if you want a new 21.5" iMac now, buy it and upgrade to the new version of OS X when it's released. No one knows for sure exactly when it will be released or what the cost will be, however, based on past releases from Apple, it should be an inexpensive upgrade.

Some additional advice: If you intend to buy a new 21.5" iMac, make certain you max out the memory and order the size of the hard drive you need. The 21.5" iMac is not user upgradeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
..........Some additional advice: If you intend to buy a new 21.5" iMac, make certain you max out the memory and order the size of the hard drive you need. The 21.5" iMac is not user upgradeable.

Hi Cashpoor - recent Apple switcher in the spring of this year - bought a MBP at the end of March and an iMac soon after - 21 1/2" w/ the hybrid drive - upgraded to 16 GB RAM which as already stated not a 'user option' - if you need the computer now then probably no reason to wait; the OS upgrade should be easy as already suggested - Dave :)

C

chas_m

The difference is probably a matter of $20 or so. The OS should not be a factor in your decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.