access time in finder

Reaction score
When I go to download an attachment it often takes 20 plus seconds between pushing the download (and I can hear something working away in there) to when the pinwheel appears and starts spinning. Another 20 seconds plus before the screen choice of where to save it appears. The disk is about half full. Besides the time machine disk there are 2 others plus dropbox. The machine is running 8 MEG. What is causing his inordinately long wait to start then long wait to index/list the folders? Its been doing this for about a month. I've run Mackeeper over it several times....??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, remove MacKeeper. It does more harm than good. Have a search of these and other forums to see the kind of issues it causes.

The install and run Onyx (run everything on the automation tab.

Reboot, the try with and without the external drives connected.

Reaction score
I have 2 externals, one for misc. and one for Time Machine. Every time I want to download or save a file, Finder wants to spin the externals up before it does anything. Maybe that's your problem too. I now only keep the Time Machine drive mounted and mount the other when needed.
Also, what he said... lose MacKeeper and run Onyx.

OP
R
Reaction score
HGad huge issues trying to remove Mackeeper- never again!!!!!!
Didn't seem to solve the problem
Reset PRAM. No change
Before I installed and ran onyx I thought I'd test the disk again- ran the one from utilities. WARNING and red flashing signs. Disk on the blink. Check I'd saved files. To the shop. Confirm disk problems. Nex solid state hard drive. All files reinstalled by the look of it. Now its like the OS is on steroids. So problem solved thank you everyone for your help. Really appreciated. Will warn others about mackeeper I think. Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Glad you got it sorted, and before you lost anything.

Yes, spread the MacKeeper word.....

OP
R
Reaction score
Actually I'm vaguely suspicious that MacKeeper stuffed the disk because I ran the same utility not long before installing it- and as I think about it the performance started getting really bad about not long after I installed it. Should have read more before installing!~ Lesson learned. Thanks again. Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.