• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 7 Tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Where can I find an iMovie 7.0 Tutorial?

C

chas_m

If it is possible for you to do so, I would **STRONGLY** recommend upgrading to iMovie '11. SO MANY IMPROVEMENTS

iMovie '11 tutorials are of course found on Apple's web site -- yet another reason to upgrade ...

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is possible for you to do so, I would **STRONGLY** recommend upgrading to iMovie '11. SO MANY IMPROVEMENTS

iMovie '11 tutorials are of course found on Apple's web site -- yet another reason to upgrade ...

You must own Apple stock! LOL!

It seems to me that Apple upgrades are far more about profit making than serving the Apple customer. I can remember when both went hand in hand! It would be nice if Apple supported its applications longer instead of pumping out more & more & more applications for the upgrade money. I think Apple could afford servers large enough to support older applications. Many consumers would much rather have a so much simpler OS X version of iMovie 5.0 HD for simple video editing usage & a separate Hollywood film version, but profit is more important than serving the Apple customer in recent years!

I get your point though. I suppose I'll have to buy iMovie '11, like it or not! Just the way it is!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree with your premise very strongly, but I'll wait till you see how many improvements they put into iMovie 11 and let you decide for yourself. You'll see!

Apple - Find Out How - Movies - iMovie

I'm sure that you are right as to the improvements in iMovie 11 and I'll be forced to buy it when I buy a new video camera, but I wish I had a "real" option whether to upgrade to newer applications, or not. I just wish Apple would support older applications for those who prefer them. Frankly, I would pay a fee to have iMovie 5.0 HD compatible with the latest versions of OS 10 and newer cameras. (Actually I have found a work around to use iMovie 5.0 HD, but it will not recognize newer cameras. I can upload to iMovie 7 and then input to iMovie 5.0 HD if I want to go through all the problem, but it is a hassle!)

I created a movie with iMovie 7.0 recently and found it unnecessarily complicated for simple editing tasks. My point is why not make a simple app like iMovie 5.0 HD for those that want super simple and then let people pay extra for the heavy duty applications. Choice is what I'm asking for rather than being forced into constant upgrades.

I still type my letters with old AppleWorks because it doesn't fight me with all constant automatic help I don't want which I have to find and turn off in the preferences. I realize Word is great for secretaries, but it is way too automatic for my needs! ,,,, and yes I know Apple doesn't make Word.... just and example of complicated programs as opposed to simple ones! Apple's strength was that it made things so simple and intuitive and I think they are losing their way and forgetting why many of us left PC's and bought an Apple so man years ago!

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM APPLE READS THIS AND GETS MY POINT!

I have to leave now because my new cars are sending me dozens of "idiot light' messages about tire pressure and oil changes that are very often even wrong! I remember when I could change my oil without telling my car's **** computer. My Toyotas are scheduled by Toyota for 10K synthetic oil changes, but the computer tells me to change at regular oil intervals because it's working on old info! Sometimes more complication is just more complication and not really that helpful unless you are an idiot!

Boy, do I sound old! LOL! I am!

Have a nice day and thanx for reading my gringing! (British for griping!)

C

chas_m

The trick with iMovie 07 and upwards is to understand that it is using a *completely different* paradigm for editing video and has *nothing at all* to do with the previous versions of iMovie. Once you "get" that and approach it fresh it turns out to be far *simpler* than the old iMovie to do basic editing, in fact -- but its not a faux-NLE like the old iMovie was.

I too had a *terrible* time when iMovie 07 first came out; I had gotten quite good at iMovie HD and so the new one was a huge WHAT?! moment. I later saw a video demo by the guy who wrote iMovie 07 and had my "aha" moment and since then its been pretty great. It's a trick, dropping what one is used to/has learned about A and approaching B with a fresh eye, no doubt about it.

I'm more concerned about your attitude towards AppleWorks, as I know a number of people (including professors that should really know better) who have *lost valuable work* because they waited far too long to convert their work and now they're up the creek with colleagues who have long since moved on and have no machines available that can read the older files. Please don't let this happen to you. You certainly don't have to use Word but the Word *format* is a standard you should convert your work to before it is too late.

Like with iMovie, it can sometimes be a pain to learn a new program when the old one has been discontinued (AppleWorks was left for dead more than a decade ago, you know) or sometimes it can be a true pleasure to break out of a program you knew well but had its issues and discover something WOW way better that you had no idea about because you had the blinders on. Believe me I've been there as well. Pages (see iMovie re attitude adjustment) is *far* more powerful yet easier to use than AppleWorks particularly for layout (but also for WP) and isn't Word. Nor is Bean, my WP of choice (much more basic but free and simple) or TextEdit for that matter. Yet all three (and most other options) read Word-format files -- but don't (with the exception of Pages) read AW files.

As for your premise that Apple should support older programs indefinitely -- I have to say you might be fairly new to the concept of capitalism :) but seriously Apple sincerely believes these programs to be far superior and they are (when looked at more objectively) generally right, particularly when one considers the needs of the broader audience rather than one individual.

Lastly, while I couldn't be sure that "no one" from Apple would read your post, I can say that Mac-Forums is not an official channel for Apple in any way so no, nobody from Apple will be reading this ... and to be frank even if it somehow found its way to Tim Cook's desk it wouldn't matter. Apple is about looking forward, not back -- and definitely not about staying still.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The trick with iMovie 07 and upwards is to understand that it is using a *completely different* paradigm for editing video and has *nothing at all* to do with the previous versions of iMovie. Once you "get" that and approach it fresh it turns out to be far *simpler* than the old iMovie to do basic editing, in fact -- but its not a faux-NLE like the old iMovie was.

I too had a *terrible* time when iMovie 07 first came out; I had gotten quite good at iMovie HD and so the new one was a huge WHAT?! moment. I later saw a video demo by the guy who wrote iMovie 07 and had my "aha" moment and since then its been pretty great. It's a trick, dropping what one is used to/has learned about A and approaching B with a fresh eye, no doubt about it.

I'm more concerned about your attitude towards AppleWorks, as I know a number of people (including professors that should really know better) who have *lost valuable work* because they waited far too long to convert their work and now they're up the creek with colleagues who have long since moved on and have no machines available that can read the older files. Please don't let this happen to you. You certainly don't have to use Word but the Word *format* is a standard you should convert your work to before it is too late.

Like with iMovie, it can sometimes be a pain to learn a new program when the old one has been discontinued (AppleWorks was left for dead more than a decade ago, you know) or sometimes it can be a true pleasure to break out of a program you knew well but had its issues and discover something WOW way better that you had no idea about because you had the blinders on. Believe me I've been there as well. Pages (see iMovie re attitude adjustment) is *far* more powerful yet easier to use than AppleWorks particularly for layout (but also for WP) and isn't Word. Nor is Bean, my WP of choice (much more basic but free and simple) or TextEdit for that matter. Yet all three (and most other options) read Word-format files -- but don't (with the exception of Pages) read AW files.

As for your premise that Apple should support older programs indefinitely -- I have to say you might be fairly new to the concept of capitalism :) but seriously Apple sincerely believes these programs to be far superior and they are (when looked at more objectively) generally right, particularly when one considers the needs of the broader audience rather than one individual.

Lastly, while I couldn't be sure that "no one" from Apple would read your post, I can say that Mac-Forums is not an official channel for Apple in any way so no, nobody from Apple will be reading this ... and to be frank even if it somehow found its way to Tim Cook's desk it wouldn't matter. Apple is about looking forward, not back -- and definitely not about staying still.

I agree with you in every way! I save everything in Word even if I don't like using it. When I buy a new video camera I'll invest in iMovie 11 and stop gripping and spend the time to learn it. After all, I'm a retired educator & I need the mental challenge!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.