G4 disply problems

Reaction score
Hi everybody I'm new here so be gentle. I am a long time mac user from my first performa thru my persona fave G3 to mu current older G4. My G4 shocked me the other day when I turned it on was greeted with a screen that only displays red and blue. A quick monitor change confirmed that it was not a monitor problem, so that raises the question. Am I dealing with a dying Machine or is it something simple like logic board batteries? Even my first performa from 1993 will still fire up and do its stuff as well as my Imac G3 and powerPC G3. I have never dealt with this kind of problem since my performa had an "unimplemented trap" that I sucessfully resolved. I still dont know what it was. Thanks in advance Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What kind of G4 is it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As asked what model as there are many variteies of the G4.

Sure sounds like a graphics card failing. For starters trying opening her up, remove card and reseat and see if there is any improvement. Hard to recommend a new casrd with no model details.

OP
P
Reaction score
hi and thanks for your prompt reply. We are talking about a 466MHz PowerPC g4 running osX 10.3.9 is that enough? I am typing this on my trusty G3 PowerPC with system Profiler on the 4 displaying nicely in pink on the other monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi and thanks for your prompt reply. We are talking about a 466MHz PowerPC g4 running osX 10.3.9 is that enough? I am typing this on my trusty G3 PowerPC with system Profiler on the 4 displaying nicely in pink on the other monitor.

My first thought is it's the video card that's going bad. As a quick test...you could remove & reseat the video card just in case it has gotten dislodged slightly.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.