assigning a printer to a specific Doc

Reaction score
I think I'm asking for something that is not possible, but, here goes:

I have 3 printers connected to an iMac OSX 10.8.4. Let's call them printer #1, #2 and #3. So I have 3 documents. Let's call them A, B, & C. A is a pdf that opens with Preview. B is a Pages doc, and C is a Word doc. I would like to always have the Default printer for doc A print on printer #1, and etc with the other docs and printers. Is this possible to set up? (The reason is I have different types of paper (heavy gloss, plain paper and colored paper) in each of the machines)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know of no way to do that

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It might be possible to script this as a foler action with a different folder/script combo for each printer. I haven't tried it though.

C

chas_m

When pressing command-p to print, you are always free to select an alternate printer for every document before you click "OK" to start the printing process. The list will always start with the default printer unless it is offline, but will show every available printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.